Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

onions, shallots and garlic problems....

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
brogan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: onions, shallots and garlic problems.... Reply with quote

For the past 3 years I've planted onion and garlic sets in early spring but I've yet to ever get a successful crop. They all sprout to about 5/6 inches and stay at that size for the rest of the season. I've changed their location each year in case that was the problem.

So this year I went all out and bought winter onion sets, spring garlic, spring onion (not scallions) sets and shallots to try and break my bad luck.

1. All was going well with the winter onions until the snow etc and now they all seem to be gone except for little inch high shoots coming out of the ground here and there. Are they all dead and gone now? or is there any way to revive them?

2. The spring onion and garlic sets are doing well as they've been in the ground for 2 weeks and I've got good shoots coming out of the ground...so fingers crossed. But is there any tips on how to keep them growing?

3. My shallots haven't sprouted at all yet, should I be worried that they'll rot in the ground or will they be fine?

Any advise is much appreiciated.

Brogan.
notenoughspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be the case but last year I had similar problems. Onions and Garlic grew to about 5 inches above ground then stayed like that. The onions were loose in the soil and the garlic wasn't getting any bigger.
Turned out to be leatherjackets in the soil, lots of em. These are DaddyLongLeg larvae which eat the roots deep down, so it's hard to see the damage done until its too late. My polytunnel was full of DLL in the summer which was a giveaway I suppose. Have ordered nematodes for this year (supernemo).

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about3872.html
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brogan,

Did you see Gardeners World last night? In the programme Monty Don planted his shallots and onions in seed tray cells and he says it gives them a better start. He leaves them in the trays for 3/4 weeks before planting them so it may be worth a try.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just press the onion sets and shallots into the ground , no need to cover them and the ground should be firm not soft and spongy. I did not plant my onion sets or shallots yet, as there is no growth, probably next week. Plant them about 6-8 inches (15- 20 cms) apart in rows 12 inches (30cms).
michael brenock horticultural adviser (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: