Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

SOS> Leather jacket infestation returns

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: SOS> Leather jacket infestation returns Reply with quote

A friend of mine has an infestation of leatherjacket larvae which has destroyed her newly laid turf lawns not just once, but twice in a row. Daddy long legs is the name by which I know these critters.

The larvae is eating the grass and turning it to brown pulp. New topsoil has been added and the lawn relaid but the problem returned.

Any of you keen gardeners have a solution please to destroy these insects and inhibit a recurrence?

John 3:16
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the soil for the lawn was obviously got from old grassland and the eggs and larvae came with it. Dig it up again and let the birds pick up the leatherjackets. Resow the lawn from July onwards when the leatherjackets will have all emerged. They are not likely to recur in newly tilled soil in two successive years. The daddy long legs is the parent of the leatherjacket.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
artalis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
the soil for the lawn was obviously got from old grassland and the eggs and larvae came with it. Dig it up again and let the birds pick up the leatherjackets. Resow the lawn from July onwards when the leatherjackets will have all emerged. They are not likely to recur in newly tilled soil in two successive years. The daddy long legs is the parent of the leatherjacket.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Hi Michael and nice to hear from you. Trust you are well for 2011 hopefully.

My friend bought turf from B & Q originally, the leatherjackets followed. She got rid of the turf and soil, replacing the lot with new topsoil and a new carpet of turf grass....and unfortunately along came the leatherjackets again.

I will pass on your advice, and hope that it works. Thanks for answering again Michael,

John 3:16
Prendo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the turf hasn't been totally ruined yet and if the area is reasonable small one could try the following - it worked well for me a few years ago:
In the evening cover the area with a tarpolin or old carpet or a large sheet of black plastic, turn on the hose and put in under the covering ... let it run until the area is well flooded, and then some. In the morning, remove the cover and pick off the leatherjackets - might take a few goes to get them all. I read somewhere that stoney drywalls are a special favourite haunt for the daddylonglegs.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a piece I put together before

Organic or cultural control.
Ensure you have adequate drainage in your lawn, as eggs and young larvae thrive in damp conditions. Sandy soil will also show less occurrence of leatherjacket attack.

Encourage the bird population in your garden by providing trees and shrubs as shelter and feeding them occasionnaly. Your birds will keep the population of craneflys lowered resulting in less leatherjackets. Unfortunately there is a downside to the birds especially the ground feeders such as the blackbird, as they cut up the lawn in their search for leatherjacket grubs.

In the evening, water an area of soil/lawn and cover it with a sheet of black plastic, then in the early morning remove the cover to expose any leatherjackets which have come to the surface. Sweep them up and dispose or else vacate the area quickly and let the Starlings, blackbirds and robins pick them off.

For leatherjacket control you can, if the pots are manageable, pop the rootball out of the pot and pick off any visable grubs.

Digging over an area of leatherjacket infested soil with a fork will also bring the grubs to the surface to be eaten by birds that flock to any piece of freshly turned sod.

You can water on a a biological control from late August to October, a parasitic nematode called Steinernema feltiae. These nematodes attack the leatherjackets causing them to die out. Steinernema feltiae can be ordered through garden centres or online.

Other Control.
Applying slug pellets which contain Methiocarb will also reduce the leatherjacket population. Sprinkle them over the ground and lightly rake in.

From..... Leatherjackets (lawn pest) - Tipula paludosa and Nephrotoma

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply supernemo's, great Irish product that I have used and is a great help.

I know its anecdotal, but last year the areas dosed with supernemo showed little leatherjacket or cutworm damage, but the untreated areas were hit very hard.

http://nemo.ie/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: