Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

butter nut squash

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sainttoff
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: butter nut squash Reply with quote

Is it possible to grow these in allotments in Ireland?

If so, how hard is it and where do i get the seeds?

Thanks
Seedling

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sainttoff

I grew these sucessfully in Cork last summer (Waltham variety). I was very late sowing the seeds (late May) and still got a number of fruits. They need warm conditions for germination I found. A number of late developing fruits were too late to escape the frost last autumn and for that reason I am starting them much earlier this year. I was going to buy seeds but they were very expensive at about €6.40 a packet (sutton seeds in B&Q). However, B&Q also were selling butternut squash plants at only 85c each so I bought six of them. They are about 12 cm tall now.

The palnts need to be hardened off and planted when the threat of frost is gone. When planting them, make a cubic foot hole and fill with half manure/half soil and leave mounded up. I only let 2-3 fruits form on each plant at a time and as the plant spawls all over the place, I trimmed the rumming shoots when they were about 3-4 foot.

There are more details here:
http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html

Hope this helps!!!

Conor
Liz D
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took seeds from a butternut squash I ate last November. Washed and dried them out and then stored in the fridge. Took them out a month ago and hope to plant them in April. The squash was only 2 euro in the grocery store and I got loads of seeds (much more than I need) but no idea of the origin of the squash so I won't know how it's going to go until I get out and about.

If you're interested I can always send you some of my extra seeds- it's only me and my husband and we've a small garden so I won't be able to plant them all!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a great idea to use these seeds, they may have come from an f1 hybrid so that the progeny may be a little unpredictable or they(the squashes) may have come from a warmer climate than ours and so would not be very suitable for our unpredictable Summer. Storing the seed in the fridge may not have done them much good. However as the seed is free it may be worth just growing them but you may waste a lot of time compost and garden space in the process.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired).

sainttoff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liz;

But my wife managed to buy squash seeds of seeaholics yesterday on the web. The squash is her project Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: