Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Has anyone built a perspex covered lean to onto their house?

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Gemini
Blight resistant potatoes
Last post: Mayo
building a shed
Last post: ponddigger
Hanging basket
Last post: William

doire
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Has anyone built a perspex covered lean to onto their house? Reply with quote

Hi all,I have a concrete back yard that I'm trying to turn into an outdoor living area for the family to eat in, relax and entertain during good weather but I'd also like to be able to venture out even when there's a bit of rain, which in Galway is not uncommon.so I am going to build a covered lean to conservatory type of thing onto the back of the house which leads into the yard, I suppose it would probably be sort of like a smoking area that you see in some pubs and would be made of wood only,I haven't tried my hand at brick work yet!
The idea is to put seating and plants and lighting into it and to be able to sit out in it even if the weather's not great. I've priced the wood to build it directly from a timber yard and it seems like it will be surprisingly cheap to build,apart from the perspex sheets!.
My question is,apart from putting the 6x6 post into concrete (what depth,what mix),will that alone be enough to support the structure or will it need to be cross braced as well and how?
Regards,
Doire.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be building a pergola soon that'll include a largish square area that'll be covered with polyester sheeting for an arid area.

I've been recommended to use polyester sheeting but I don't know the difference between that and perspex. The only thing I do know is that the corrugated perspex, that I've seen so far, looks cheapish and goes green in the valleys.

The polyester sheeting is flat and I was thinking of using Douglas Fir 4 X 4 s from a sawmill. I have to do a bit more rearch yet, so interested to see how you proceed.

Details on Veralite 200 and Vivax UV here. www.accessplastics.com

Some boating photographs.
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more interesting reading here doire
Two of our members who built there own greenhouses in a similar fashion to your ideas.
loads of good pics.....

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1503.html

and

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about2757.html

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
doire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Kindredspirit and James, your links are absolutely spot on.
I hear you about the perspex, K.S (I hope you don't mind me abbreviating your name like this!) and I would much prefer to use the polyester stuff as well but in the short term it will depend on the price diff. between them, but I know it would look a lot better.Thanks for the link, now I know where to go! and I'd love to know how you get on with your pergola also, Douglas fir is such a beautiful wood and I love how it changes colour.
The links to the diy greenhouses are great also James and I'll be snaffling a few ideas from there for sure!!
I saw in another post James that you'd been to the CELT workshops and was wondering are they good, I am thinking of popping down to Kinvara to learn about cob construction, there's a one day course where you learn to make a pizza oven with cob, I have much grander plans for cob but they'll have to wait, I think i've enough on my hands for the mo'!
Regards,
Doire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: