Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Are bird droppings harmfull to polytunnels

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
heno55
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Are bird droppings harmfull to polytunnels Reply with quote

hi all i have a problem with birds roosting on the esb lines that are over my tunnel their droppings are landing on the plastic, i would like to know if this would weaken the poly , at the moment i am cleaning every few days with a soapy mop but there are some parts that i cannot reach and i am worried about the poly getting damaged as well as the unsightliness(is there such a word) of it ,any help would be appreciated
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've had my tunnel in situ 3 years now, and we have housemartins nesting in our house who love nothing more than to relieve their bladders all over my tunnel, and are often joined in the persuit by every shape or form of flying creature (I'm dreadding when the flying pigs join in!)

I wash down every year, and on occasion give a wipe if I feel a dropping(s) are enough to interfere with light.

No lasting damage so far.

If the droppings were very high or low pH they could damage the plastic but very very slight damage is likely. You are more likely to damage it by constant rubbing when washing.
heno55

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks its just that with a new tunnel you tend to treat it like a baby until the novelty wears off
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, the novelty has not worn off with my baby.

Nor my polytunnel.

Razz
heno55

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its almost the same thing being up at night worrying about your first bundle of joy and being up at night the first time there is a gale blowing and your worried about your new tunnel, not quite the same but close
galwaybeginner

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up with both for the last two nights. We've had some insanely strong wind here (blew the nailed on felt off our shed umong other things)

Noise had the baby up, and when she was settled between screaming bouts I was shining the torch out into th garden to see if the tunnel was still there. Smile
robbie checker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Polytunnel cleaning Reply with quote

I bought a bottle of Algon last year to clean the polytunnel but ended up using washing up liquid instead and rubbing with a soft mop and using an old sheet on the top of the polytunnel pulled by my wife on the other side of the tunnel. With the Algon, you are supposed to be able to spray it on and it works itself. We had a cat staying with us last year while my wife's parents were on holidays and she got great sport climbing up on top of the tunnel. On a wet day, she was sliding down trying to climb up on it and punctured some small holes in the plastic. Thankfully there are no rips. Needless to say, after that the cat had to go. My polytunnel plastic is 4 years old this year and I don't want to do any damage particularly now when full of crops. I'm a bit nervous of using chemicals on it. Has anyone used Algon on their tunnel?
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually clean the father in law's tunnel in the rain - that way, the droppings have had a chance to soften up a bit, plus the rain helps wash it clean.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have more of a problem with the blooming crows trying to peck through at insects
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: