Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

terracotta pavers on a dry bed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
djr
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: terracotta pavers on a dry bed Reply with quote

hi all,

i've been lucky enough to come into some terracotta pavers for the back garden. they are octagons, with inbetweeney squares/diamonds. i am looking to lay them on a dry mix on top of the concrete surface you see in the pictures.

a friend suggested to me that it would be suitable to lay them on a grit sand (maybe 2 inch or so, levelled with a whacker). i plan to 'edge' the area in question with red brick, properly set in mortar, to retain the sand & pavers, and prevent the sand washing away into the garden. i will need to be taking them up in a few years, as we plan to extend the kitchen into that area you see in the pictures, so mortar-ing them in is a no-no, as it'll make them permanent, and likely to break if i try and remove them. apparently, also, you're not supposed to mortar in the porous mexican ones like this, as they discolour from the mortar soaking in.

would it do any good (once they have been soaked for a few days, sealed with terracotta sealer, and laid) to brush a dry sand / cement mix into the gaps, just to give them a good hold in the area, but not set them in permanently? has anyone on here ever laid these porous ones outdoors, on a dry bed before? any help / advice would be much appreciated.

here's a few more pictures to give you a better sense of what we want to achieve.

IMAG0144.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.38 KB
 Viewed:  2660 Time(s)

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.01 KB

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.25 KB

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.07 KB

IMAG0147.jpg

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Friends suggestion would be the correct Method for your requirements and instead of Cementing Kerbing in place to act as a retainer try using Railway Sleepers instead,the Depth you would have to dig would suffice to hold the Frame in place and for added Stability you could secure the corners with Steel Angle Brackets and Coach Screws
When your ready for your Extension just remove the lot and place elsewhere,the "Grouting" will easily come apart.
Cheers.
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: