Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Broccoli Tips

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
stonehead
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Broccoli Tips Reply with quote

Going to try Broccoli this season and have bought a variety called Calabrese-Autumn Spear. Will be growing on fresh new ground, any tips on, or info on problems that may arise. Also got some Swede seed called Invitation and was wondering can they be grown in cells and transplanted later, same with Broccoli.

Thanks.

Stonehead.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stonehead,

I grew brocolli last year and I have already got my seeds planted in cells indoors, I will transplant them to a raised bed in late April. I had no problems last year but the slugs loved he leaves. They do take up a lot of space and don't be disheartened if the brocolli heads don't appear for a while because when the brocolli heads grow they grow large quickly. Last year we froze some and had it on christmas day. Flavour incredible.

I have never grown swede, but would imagine it is the same a turnips.
Hope this is of some use.

Maeve
stonehead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maeve, I guess i can start potting up so, and its off to the man shed i go.

Thanks again.

Stonehead.
sainttoff
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew broccili last year, it was great, have them in the pots again now.

I did turnip also and that was ready in decemeber and was amazing.
stonehead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Sainttoff, thats what i wanted to hear. But just to be sure did you transplant into the soil and when ?.

Thanks.

Stonehead.
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew broccoli last year for the first time so I tried UNWINS Gro-sure Monaco which is a F1 hybrid, it said guaranteed results on the pack and boy was it.

There were only 30 blue coated seeds in the pack but every one sprouted quickly, produced strong plants in compost in six packs and gave lovely big tasty spears. I planted out 4-5 lots over the season and harvested the last bunch in December which I needed a snow shovel to get at, those tasted the best of all.

Slugs did have a go and my bits of copper pipes and grit couldn't stop them. So I found another cheap and easier slug barrier. I cut the top and bottom off 2 Litre plastic milk containers which leaves a 4 inch high 4 inch diameter collar which i pushed into the soil about an inch around each plant. The slugs don't seem to want the trouble of digging under or climbing up the collar. The collar was also great for watering or feeding the plants as it kept held the water around the stalk while it seeped into the ground. I re-used the collars for each successive planting and kept them in the shed for this year.
nemo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we grow brocoli, calabrese and purple sprouting brocoli and swedes
there are diffrent varieties of brocoli. the varieties can be sown at diffrent times of the year this will give you brocoli at diffrent times of the year. so you could be self sufficent in brocoli if you pick the right varieties.we have green calabrse in cell trays now in our poly tunnel some of them are breaking the surface of the soil these will eventually be planted outside where they will stay until they are harvested.some varieties of brocoli produce side shoots after the main head is harvested.you should go buy what it says on the seed packet.if that fails google the variety name this will give you sowing times
swedes are planted usally in may- june .they can be planted earlier but some will bolt.swedes are best sown where they will crop they dont transplant well
this is what i think some people will agree and some might dissagree i have been growing veg for many years
regards
nemo
stonehead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nemo, and thanks Lius. Was also thinking along the same lines as you Lius with the copper as i have some sheet copper in the shed and was going to cut in to strips and form it into something like tubes, but maybe the milk container is an easier option. Might try the turnips/swedes in toilet roll cores and plant core & seed as one later on, say that on youtube and should not cause to much distrubance. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

Stonehead.
sainttoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think was the end of march transplan them. But i put a plastic tunnel over them to protect them. This year i will transplant them in April as they be on an allotment instead of the back garden veg bed
stonehead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got news that i can move on to my allotment on march 7th, and the owner has done a soil test which back with a ph 6-6.5 which is pretty ok i think. Been out of work for some time so can,t wait to get started. Any more tips or ideas do keep them coming, thanks Sainttoff.

stonehead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: