Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
   
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

what to grow in green house.


 
Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Last post: Greengage
Hello and help needed on watering
Last post: Greengage
Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
 
Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Author Message
yvonnehouli
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Location: kerry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: what to grow in green house. Reply with quote

we have just got a green house and would like to get some vegetables started as soon as possible. can you tell me what we can start growing from now on and when we should start. it will get lots of sun as it is in a great position. please help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
56K Natas
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree


Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 80
Location: Kinsale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broad beans, french beans, Onion sets, radish, letice, beetroot, carrots can as far as I know all be planted into it now. You should also think of planting peppers, chillies, tomatoes now in pots and keeping them in the house till it warms up a bit more, then you can move them out when it warms up a bit. this way you give them a head start for the oncoming season.
I'm new enough to this so some one else should be able to give you a better list.
best of luck with it

_________________
there are 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree


Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Drogheda Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is good time to germinate your seeds in a warm greenhouse. Carrots, beetroot, kale cabbage, brocolli, can all be started in seed trays in the greenhouse. Get some fleece to put around the seed trays if there is a chance of frost, but usually it is not a problem. Next month you can start your cucumber, tomatoes, scallions in seed trays to plant in the ground or raised beds when the weather gets a bit warmer. I don't know how big the greenhouse is, but you can get shelving in argos to keep your seed trays on and it make life easier.

Hope this is of some help.

_________________
Meabh Mc Elligott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yvonnehouli
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Location: kerry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
Now is good time to germinate your seeds in a warm greenhouse. Carrots, beetroot, kale cabbage, brocolli, can all be started in seed trays in the greenhouse. Get some fleece to put around the seed trays if there is a chance of frost, but usually it is not a problem. Next month you can start your cucumber, tomatoes, scallions in seed trays to plant in the ground or raised beds when the weather gets a bit warmer. I don't know how big the greenhouse is, but you can get shelving in argos to keep your seed trays on and it make life easier.

Hope this is of some help.


Its a 8x14 green house so hoping to fit a good few veg started this year. I didn't think of the fleeze so thanks for that tip. I will also need to get some shelving so thanks for that tip too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yvonnehouli
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Location: kerry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
Now is good time to germinate your seeds in a warm greenhouse. Carrots, beetroot, kale cabbage, brocolli, can all be started in seed trays in the greenhouse. Get some fleece to put around the seed trays if there is a chance of frost, but usually it is not a problem. Next month you can start your cucumber, tomatoes, scallions in seed trays to plant in the ground or raised beds when the weather gets a bit warmer. I don't know how big the greenhouse is, but you can get shelving in argos to keep your seed trays on and it make life easier.

Hope this is of some help.


Ok thank you i did not know if it was too early to start yet in the green house as the cold weather is still a little cold. Even if the green house is not heated is it still ok to start germinate. thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree


Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Drogheda Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sown some of the hardy seeds in seed trays in the last week or so and they are in the greenhouse, if I think there could be frost, I have garden fleece to cover them. Like last night there was a little frost so I covered them and uncovered them this morning. As it is not too warm the seedlings are germinating slowly and will be ready to plant at the right time. There is a danger that the seedling grow too quickly and the plants will not be strong enough.( they grow with stringy stems)

I have sown my onion sets and garlic in the ground and I cover them over with an old rug if there is a danger of frost. I have found in the past that to get really fat full onions to plant at this time, don't plant them too deeply, and against all advice from experts, I plant them closer that I should!! This forces the bulbs to push each other and for some reason I don't understand, I end up with full very fat round onions. A Ukranian lady told me to do this 3 years ago and it works, I don't know why.

_________________
Meabh Mc Elligott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yvonnehouli
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Location: kerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
I have sown some of the hardy seeds in seed trays in the last week or so and they are in the greenhouse, if I think there could be frost, I have garden fleece to cover them. Like last night there was a little frost so I covered them and uncovered them this morning. As it is not too warm the seedlings are germinating slowly and will be ready to plant at the right time. There is a danger that the seedling grow too quickly and the plants will not be strong enough.( they grow with stringy stems)

I have sown my onion sets and garlic in the ground and I cover them over with an old rug if there is a danger of frost. I have found in the past that to get really fat full onions to plant at this time, don't plant them too deeply, and against all advice from experts, I plant them closer that I should!! This forces the bulbs to push each other and for some reason I don't understand, I end up with full very fat round onions. A Ukranian lady told me to do this 3 years ago and it works, I don't know why.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yvonnehouli
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 29
Location: kerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yvonnehouli wrote:
Maeve Drogheda wrote:
I have sown some of the hardy seeds in seed trays in the last week or so and they are in the greenhouse, if I think there could be frost, I have garden fleece to cover them. Like last night there was a little frost so I covered them and uncovered them this morning. As it is not too warm the seedlings are germinating slowly and will be ready to plant at the right time. There is a danger that the seedling grow too quickly and the plants will not be strong enough.( they grow with stringy stems)

I have sown my onion sets and garlic in the ground and I cover them over with an old rug if there is a danger of frost. I have found in the past that to get really fat full onions to plant at this time, don't plant them too deeply, and against all advice from experts, I plant them closer that I should!! This forces the bulbs to push each other and for some reason I don't understand, I end up with full very fat round onions. A Ukranian lady told me to do this 3 years ago and it works, I don't know why.


thank you for your tips. will certainly try them. looking forward to some nice fat onions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree


Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 341
Location: Stamullen, Co Meath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:

I have found in the past that to get really fat full onions to plant at this time, don't plant them too deeply, and against all advice from experts, I plant them closer that I should!! This forces the bulbs to push each other and for some reason I don't understand, I end up with full very fat round onions. A Ukranian lady told me to do this 3 years ago and it works, I don't know why.


Hmmm, must try this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Copyright © 2006 - 2016 IrishGardeners.com (part of GardenPlansIreland.com)