Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Newbie from Canada

Most Recent Posts How are your tomatoes doing? 2017
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
What is this plant please
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
BeeWrangler
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Newbie from Canada Reply with quote

Hi all, looks like a great site to trade some idea's and maybe some seeds Very Happy
Aside from regular garden veggies ect, I like to grow Atlantic giant pumpkins. Also looking to start some new fruit tree's this year, and would love to get my hands on some black hawthorn seeds. I live in New brunswick Canada, my family and I just moved to our first hobby farm so I have alot of work ahead of me this year between my garden and a flower garden for my wife.
Anyway, looking forward to meeting people on this forum!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum BeeWrangler, you live in a lovely part of the world. Are you near the mighty Atlantic ? How small ( or big ) is what you call a "hobby farm" ? Would it be the equivalent of what would be called a "smallholding" on this side of the Atlantic ?
BeeWrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Welcome to the forum BeeWrangler, you live in a lovely part of the world. Are you near the mighty Atlantic ? How small ( or big ) is what you call a "hobby farm" ? Would it be the equivalent of what would be called a "smallholding" on this side of the Atlantic ?

Thanks for the welcome Sive. I am by the Atlantic, about 20 minutes away. It is a nice area, and some great fishing too.
A hobbyfarm is the same as a smallholding. We just moved here last year so there is still much to do, there was no garden or tree's so I have my work cut out for me this year. Right now we have meat/egg chickens, turkeys, a couple fruit tree's and a small garden in but I am looking to get some goats aswell, expand the garden and plant about 40 more tree's. Also would like to put in a large flower garden for my wife and kids. I still have to work full time, it is just big enough to grow our own fruit/veggies, meat and eggs.
My fathers father (my great grandfather) came from County Wicklow Ireland with his brother. They got to the New york train station but they got split up and had no way to know where the other was (no email or cell phones at that time lol) My great grandfather took a train to Canada and later found out through mail from family back in Ireland that his brother stayed in US, they never seen each other again. Stories of Ireland have been passed down in our family from my great grandfather, as I now do with my children.
Anyway as gardening is a huge hobby for me I thought it would be nice to learn more about Irish gardens and native Irish plants, so I am really glad I found this forum Very Happy
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great story, BeeWrangler, do you know what part of Wicklow your great-grandfather came from ? Have you ever visited there yourself ? It's one of the prettiest parts of the whole country.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bee wrangler. You have me confused about the hawthorns, There is a white-thorn (crataegus) shrub that grows wild so called because of it's white blossom and red berries called haws. There is a blackthorn also with white blossom but grows into a small tree and produces black fruits called sloes (Pyrus spinosa). Both can be grown from seed and are fairly hardy, should withstand your Winters. The white thorn seeds need top be vernalised before sowing (stored in a freezer for a few months before sowing. They are native irish plants but not exclusive to ireland. hope this helps and welcome to the forum. ps. i live at the edge of the Atlantic in Cork harbour. The water comes to my front garden and sometimes into it.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

BeeWrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding he is from the town of Wicklow. I have not been there yet, but my wife and I do plan to go in the next year or two.

It is the blackthorn/sloe I am looking for. The red berried haws grow in this area, we call them hawthorns.
You must have a great view where you are! Sitting in your garden over looking the Atlantic... I would never leave my garden Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: