Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Weeping Cotoneaster help!

Most Recent Posts Amelanchier
Last post: DoneWick
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: tagwex
Install the edging - Lay edging logs
Last post: jardinier
How to Anchor a Greenhouse to ground - Tips
Last post: jardinier
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Weeping Cotoneaster help! Reply with quote

I bought a weeping cotoneaster tree last Nov to put out in the front garden unfortunately with the Winter we had and being away I am only getting round to planting it now. It looks a bit of a sorry state but I think its alive I had it outside and the soil is moist most of the leaves are dry and brown looking but when I cut some of the branch the sap is white, the roots are brown but not soft and there are still berries on it I hope if I put it in the ground now it will start growing properly again.
Anyone any tips on planting a tree properly I planted one of these before and it died with the weather and I think the hole was planted too deep. Don't want to let this one go at well.
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stole this from James article on planting apple trees here but it would be the exact same for the fruiting cotoneaster.

Begin by digging a planting pit twice as wide as the trees containerised root-ball and if possible twice as deep as the root-ball. If you are planting a bare-root specimen, then the planting pit must be wide enough to allow the trees roots to be spread out completely.

Mix the best of the soil that comes from this excavation half and half with well-rotted farmyard manure, homemade compost or peat based compost.
The manure or compost should be decomposed to the point that it is odourless, if it is fresh and smelly, steer clear as this could burn the trees roots. Also, avoid adding any artificial fertilisers whilst apple tree planting, as these are equally capable of burning fresh roots.

Fork over the base of the planting hole and add enough of the topsoil / compost mix to allow the tree to sit at the same depth as it is in the pot, or in the case of bare-rooted trees to the same depth as the old soil mark on the trunk. If you are planting a container grown tree ensure that the root-ball is thoroughly soaked before planting, submerging it in a drum of water is a good way to do this.

The time to stake the tree is while the planting hole is still open, this will prevent you driving the stake through roots and damaging them. Position the stake and tie so that the tree bends away from them when blown by the prevailing wind. Then begin to backfill the topsoil / compost mix, if planting bare-root gently shake the tree up and down to remove air pockets. Having planted the tree, tread down the soil using your boots to ensure good soil / root contact and finally, water the tree well with about 10 litres of rainwater.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: