Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Chillies?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Chillies? Reply with quote

My leeks are up, also my first salads, and broad beans are germinating. I was listening to gardener's question time on BBC radio 4 (I know, is mise Sassenach, but it's a goldmine) and somebody said to sow chilli seeds now.

I have seeds saved from last year, but the house/polytunnel rarely gets above 10 degrees c yet. Apparently they benefit from a long season, yet only grow at 20 celcius. Should i sow now indoors and chance it? Or is there a clever way of mimicing the tropics?

Last year, the tomatoes grew fabulously in the polytunnel, but we only got 20 ish sweet peppers. About the same amount of chillis, but I had a better crop the year before from a plant bought from Woodies, grown as a houseplant.

Any tps? They should hold true for sweet peppers, aubergines and tomatoes, so work away! It's my first full season growing in an Irish polytunnel! :)
thechef
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a chilli plant on the window get plenty from it all year round but it is in a warm spot cant see them growing outside thou
Liz D
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my chilli plant died a death outside last summer, regardless of the sunny spot, warmth and regular watering. I would definitely keep it inside!
56K Natas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 2 types in the tunnel and I got loads of fruit off them, Never tried to grow them out side though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: