Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Edible Barley shoots

Most Recent Posts Turning my lawn into a woodland.
Last post: Darwin.
A thousand bulbs
Last post: tagwex
What is this used for
Last post: Margo
Pines and topiary.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Edible Barley shoots Reply with quote

I have found myself with a 25kg bag of barley seeds. I was using some of them on an old sock and microwaving them as a 'hot barley bottle' I left it in the microwave a bit too long one day and it started to glow red hot on me in bed so I have given up on the idea for health and safety reasons...

I was wondering if I could plant them up like sprouting seeds in the windowsill? If so could I cut them off and use the grass in a salad, or would I have to juice them? Can't find any info on the web....

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled "sprouting barley". Apparently, sprouting the seeds in the dark on wet kitchen paper is perfectly ok, though instead of eating the "grass", you eat the whole very young sprout in the same way as mung bean or alfalfa. There were also a couple of sites with recipes for sprouted barley bread. I've never eaten barley, but it could be delicious- let us know!
inishindie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tippben
I am finding out a few good things about barley....It's a bit of a superfood...
I have been advised to soak any dried beans and pulses prior to cooking for at least 48 hours to get rid of any natural anti nutrients and growth inhibitors....

simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the seeds could be used for Taboulet - I'll do a bit of a search - but if you have spare seed, I'd be very interested
inishindie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatting to Nigel from Chillington. He has this to add....

"Grain to be used as seed must not be dried by heating above i think 180o otherwise it will not germinate and then just becomes grain as in food and cannot be called seed.

Seed when being dried will never go near such high temperatures as they have to guarantee a certain germination percentage to farmers.

So your barley will not grow, but you could try it just to see."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: