Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum for Winter Colour.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum for Winter Colour. Reply with quote

Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum for Winter Colour.

Mention the word Jasmine to most house owners and they immediately think of the many products with the essence of Jasmine, which reside within their homes.
The plants wonderful heady scent is used to infuse everything from room fresheners to scented candles.
Jasminum officinale, the summer flowering Jasmine provides us with that glorious scent, whereas its close relative Jasminum nudiflorum shuns summer fragrance in favour of a dash of winter colour.
Appropriately enough, because of its winter showing, Jasminum nudiflorum is commonly known as Winter Jasmine.

Photo / pic / image of Winter Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum.

A deciduous rambling shrub, the beauty originally grew in China before being introduced to the west by the plant hunter Robert fortune in the 1800's.
As well as being directly related to summer flowering Jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum is unsurprisingly a direct relative of winter flowering heather, another provider of colour to brighten up dull grey winter days.
Winter Jasmines flowers, small yellow star-like blooms about 2.5cm (1 inch) across, emerge with six petals from glossy reddened buds as early as late autumn each year.
These blossoms are reliably produced in abundance throughout winter on flexible whippy stems, which have a cascading growth habit.
The stems, while supporting the flowers are slender and leafless, however, once the plants flowering period is over the missing flowers are made up for by a compensating flush of dark green oval leaves.

Like most medium sized shrubs, Jasminum nudiflorum can be grown as a stand-alone plant in a bed or border, but it is more commonly employed as a wall shrub due to its trailing stems.
If planted at the base of a south or west-facing wall, a gardener can quite easily expect this Jasmine to cover a 3 metre by 3 metre (9ft) section of wall area in 5 to 10 years.
Although growing and flowering slightly better on a sunny wall, it will also produce more than adequate blooms in a shaded location, so its ideal for Ireland I hear you say.
I highly recommend this plant if you have a darkened north facing wall that prevents you from growing the more sun loving climbers such a Clematis.
Remember, that Jasmine is a wall shrub not a self-clinging climber, so it will require some form of support such as horizontal wires or strong trellising.

You will find that Winter Jasmine grows well in any clay soil with a fair addition of compost or well-rotted farmyard manure.
As well as being easy to grow, cuttings from Jasminum nudiflorum easily root any time during the growing season.
So easy in fact that Winter Jasmine can unfortunately root anywhere the cascading branches happen to touch moist soil, this can rapidly become difficult to control if let run rampant.
For all you adventurous gardeners out there, you can try growing Jasminum nudiflorum as a cascade shrub, planted atop a soil backfilled wall or bank, allowing it to trail its welcome winter colour downwards towards the viewer.
Jasminum nudiflorum and Jasminum officinale ground covers are more decorative than effective, but still worth a try.

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Lamiales
Family: Oleaceae
Genus: Jasminum
Species: J. nudiflorum

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
GarethAustin
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Winter jasmine Reply with quote

I would have to agree that it truly is a great plant.

I have some planted through some ground cover cotoneatester and I have seen some planted through some ground cover Lilac and It looks very well. It provides a goof fluch o colour on an otherwise green plant in the winter months.

Highly recommended.
langerdan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone tell me if they know somewhere in cork where you can buy this???
verge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

langerdan wrote:
can anyone tell me if they know somewhere in cork where you can buy this???

Brief Cork garden centre list below. Most will have it in stock, if not suppliers can get it to them in a week or so.

Midleton Garden Centre
Knockgriffin, Midleton, Co Cork

Hillside Garden Centre
Ballyoran Road, Castlelyons, Fermoy, Co Cork

Arthur McEnally Garden Centre
9 Church Street, Mitchelstown, Co Cork

Hosford's Geraniums & Garden Centre
Cappa, Enniskeane, Co Cork

Kiernan's Garden Centre
Douglas Court Shopping Centre, Douglas, Cork

Aiseiri Nurseries & Garden Plants
Clash, Ballinhassig, Co Cork

Ballygarvan Nurseries
Garden Pavillion, Myrtle Hill, Ballygarvan, Co Cork

Atkins Garden World
Carrigrohane Road, Cork

Ballyvourney Nursery & Garden Centre
Ballymakeera, Ballyvourney, Co Cork

Vinnie Joe's Garden Centre
Castlelyons, Fermoy, Co Cork

Bandon Garden Centre
Glaslyn Road, Bandon, Co Cork

Deelish Nursery & Garden Centre
Deelish, Skibbereen, Co Cork

Carrigaline Garden Centre
Carrigaline Shopping Centre, Carrigaline, Co Cork

Carewswood Garden Centre
Castlemartyr, Co Cork

Carmel's Garden Centre
Glanworth Road, Kilworth, Co Cork

Glen Bridge Garden Centre
Bakers Road, Charleville, Co Cork

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

langerdan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that verge, i've been into a few of them but they have hardly any jasmine plants there at all nevermind the winter version. do you know how much a plant would cost by any chance??? the best normal jasmine i've seen is jasmine azoricum which was nearly €30!
verge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very poor show, but I suppose some of them wait until the plant is in flower to buy them in. A 40cm high Jasminum nudiflorum should be no more than €10 but more like €8
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other winter flowering plants would you recommend ? I have a few deliberate gaps in my front flowerbed that I intend to fill with winter flowers shrubs, but I think the Jasmin would be too big. Are there any other scrubs that grow to about 1 foot tall that you could recommend that are availabe in most garden centres ?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandromiskin wrote:
What other winter flowering plants would you recommend ? I have a few deliberate gaps in my front flowerbed that I intend to fill with winter flowers shrubs, but I think the Jasmin would be too big. Are there any other scrubs that grow to about 1 foot tall that you could recommend that are availabe in most garden centres ?

Just a few.....

Bergenia cordifolia 'Purpurea' known as Elephants ears

Winter flowering heathers.

Miniature dogwoods.

Some annual colour from The Universal Pansy

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Beeker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going crazy trying to find this plant. The only one I have found is Gelsemium sempervirens, which is also yellow, but it is only hardy to 2 degrees Celsius. There is Jasminum officinale which is hardy to -1, but it is white. I need yellow. Isn't there one hardier than that also in yellow?
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: jasmine Reply with quote

Ordered mine from

gardens4you.ie

You can get 2 winter flowering jasmine for less than 10euros bare rooted, but postage brings up the price to about 20euros total.
See below>

http://www.gardens4you.ie/index.php?/Shrubs/Other-Shrubs/Jasminum-nudiflorum-Winter-Jasmine.html

artalis Smile

Thinking of training mine against a south facing house wall in a deep container. It is a fairly protected spot and has an overhanging soffit, which the plant will outgrow as it matures. There can be strong drying winds which may clip the edges of the plant. For example, a boxed topiary plant needs a lot of water in that spot to stay in good colour.

Do you think that, this location etc is suitable for the winter flowering jasmine?

John 3:16
roonimirza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Pruning Jasminum officinale Reply with quote

Hi there,

Any tips on maintaining and pruning of Jasminum officinale. I bought two
very big plants (seems bit pricy now!) and have them on full sunny wall ..
regularly watering etc.

But the plant doesnt look very healthy, specially the leaves dont have a shine..
believe needs a good pruning..

Any help please, I really like to have these in our garden.. there are some
special memories with Jasmin from younger age Smile

Thanks

Rooni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: