Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Pea & Bean Trellis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im tempted to start my tomato and peppers now,get a good head start! my peppers took for ever to get going last year...would it be possible do you think? or should i wait until march?
Liz D
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walltoall - when you make your Wigwam do you stake the pieces in the ground or leave sitting on top of the soil?
And for sweet peas, could you grow two around each stake? Or do they grow better one a piece? This will be only my second year growing these so wasn't sure?
Thanks!

Last edited by Liz D on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Blowin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Liz - If you don't mind me sticking my oar in, this is one side of veg gardening that I'm best at so this might help.

Wigwams are an ideal way of either growing small quantities, e.g. for someone living on their own, or for growing a succession of crop, i.e. you start a wigwam every 3 weeks or so. In this latter context, however, Nature will eventually take over and the later ones will begin to catch up with the earlier ones.

Whatever method of support you use, they should always be set in the soil. I'd recommend a minimum of 9 inches as, once they're carrying a good quantity of leafy foliage, there's a lot of surface for the wind to get hold of and, after all, they're there as supports for the crop and you don't want them to blow over.

Regarding how many to plant per support, this whole family need two basic things - moisture and nutrients. As long as you have plenty of both, two plants per support is fine. If you prepare your wigwam site by digging a hole 12-15 inches deep, put a couple of inches of folded newspapers in the bottom. This will act as a reservoir for moisture and will help the crop in dry spells.

You can then place your supports around the sides of the hole before back filling it with manure (if available), household food waste and an excellent natural fertilizer, stinging nettles, but make sure there aren't any roots or flowers on them.

Finally, return the excavated soil on top and its weight will gradually compress everything else so that you end up with a more or less level site again.

Now that there's plenty of food and moisture underneath, the number of plants won't be so important and the only thing left to do is to apply a fine spray of water to the flowers when they arrive - late evening is ideal - as this helps 'set' them and improves the number of pods produced.

Liz D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blowin- thanks so much for that! I never even thought of setting up one a few months after another, makes complete sense of course. I can't wait to get started...
56K Natas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one some good ideas there for the rest of my beans and peas Smile

Just wondering has anyone tried growing yard long beans ?
I got a few packs of seeds from Thailand and these were with them, I'm guessing I just grow them like normal beans with supports but will these plants grow very high as the beans are so long ?

Nozebleed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for an early crop..when is the right tie to sow pea & bean seeds under glass?
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start them now... read that somewhere on gardening.ie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: