Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi from Dublin

Most Recent Posts Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
CURATOR OF PLANTS DUBLIN ZOO.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
French Gourmet
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Hi from Dublin Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been avidly keeping an eye on the forum for the last few months and finally decided to join!

I'm a 30 year-old first-time organic gardener, I started my veg patch at the beginning of April 2010 and have since "given birth" to many fruit & veg in my (unfortunately) North-facing garden: spinach, swiss chards, spring onions, leeks, butternut squash, pumpkin, cabbage, chillis, carrots, lambs' lettuce, endives (and currently forcing chicons in the dark!), rocket, nasturtium (I eat it the leaves chopped up in salads, and I stuff & deep-fry the flowers), mooli (Japanese radish), chives, parsley, rosemary & basil!

I've never had a garden before other than when I was wee, and have always longed for my own veg patch. I grew everything from seed. Back in September, I planted some Charlotte potatoes that I reckon should be ready to pick soon. The carrots are nearly there too I reckon.

I'm originally from the South of France, living in Dublin and am finding it quite tough growing my vegetables in my North-facing garden. I admit that I thought it would be much easier. all the same it's been very rewarding eating my very own organic butternut squash!

Looking forward to reading you soon,

Happy New Year everyone!

organic-African-hot-chilli.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.58 KB
 Viewed:  13286 Time(s)

organic-African-hot-chilli.jpg

organic-baby-Spring-cabbages.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.84 KB

organic-baby-Spring-cabbages.jpg

home-grown-organic-spinach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.86 KB

home-grown-organic-spinach.jpg

organic-chicory-endive.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.34 KB

organic-chicory-endive.jpg

organic-baby-leeks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.94 KB

organic-baby-leeks.jpg

organic-baby-butternut-squash.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.72 KB

organic-baby-butternut-squash.jpg

organic-mars-pumpkin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.54 KB

organic-mars-pumpkin.jpg

organic-yellow-swiss-chard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.18 KB

organic-yellow-swiss-chard.jpg

parsley.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.32 KB

parsley.jpg

Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, i got hungry looking at ur site
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, French Gourmet.....we're not ignoring you or being unfriendly......I suspect most of us are still sleepwalking our way through the early days of the New Year ! Flowers and vegetables seem somehow very distant after all this awful weather...but spring is not that far away now, what a wonderful thought that is, too. Your photos are amazing, thanks for reminding us what summer is all about !
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,

Hope you all had a great weekend.

Thank you for your lovely comments Protein & Sive!

Can't wait for the winter to be over, the recent snow & frosty conditions didn't leave much around the garden. Thankfully the baby cabbages & the swiss chards are soldiering on!

Remember... Spring is just aroud the corner! Very Happy
Talk soon
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pics.

One question. Can you grow truffles in an ordinary garden? or do you have to have a garden full of oak trees?
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your lovely comment Kindredspirit =)

Tough question... one that I'm experimenting on atm!

In theory yes, you can grow truffles in an ordinary garden, however your soil needs to be quite limey. This said, you will need mycorhized oak trees & hazelnut trees, in essence one could suffice, however the more mycorhized trees you have, the better the soil will become for the proliferation of truffles. Mycorhization is when the tiny filament roots of truffles & other mushrooms make a symbiotic habitat between the roots of oak trees & hazelnut trees.

As far as I am concerned, I planted "3 truffle trees" in my limey garden last year... Theoretically, once planted, a truffle tree (hazelnut or oak tree) should start yielding after 6 years in the soil... I have another 5 years to wait! They say patience is a virtue! Very Happy

I'll keep you posted! Wink
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.
How did you put the fungus into the soil around the hazel trees?
Was the rootball of soil already mycorrhized?
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no I didn't plant any truffles... Actually, the "truffle trees" I got were already innoculated with the truffle fungus, the roots were already pre-treated. It's really impossible to tell (for me at least) if I will get truffles, I'll just have to wait another 5 years.. I really hope I do cos i love truffles and would love to grow my own!... but the advantage is that at least if I dont get truffles, I'll get hazelnuts as a consolation prize! Laughing
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant.

I hope you do get truffles.

I planted a Hazel tree years ago. It was a six inch tall specimen that came from hazel scrub in the Burren. It grew at an enormous rate in my limey soil but unfortunately it had to go when I installed my back pond. I had to get a JCB to move it to a neighbour's garden. It transplanted well.

Where did you get your impregnated Hazel trees from? France?
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so do I!

Oh wow, it's great to know your hazel grew so fast! did you get hazelnuts? I love fresh hazelnuts, they're so delicate. I used to have a hazel in my garden when i was wee and recall harvesting it at every chance I got!

You must have been heart-broken to JCB it out of the way! glad to hear it transplanted well! phew! But I guess you must have been really excited about your pond!! I'd love to have a pond too! but we're not there yet...

I bought the trees "ready-innoculated" from www.johnstowngardencentre.ie; I'm not sure where they got it done (I'm after re-visiting the site now and happily noticed that I was wrong about the "incubation time"... it's 3-4 years, instead of 6! yippee!! Very Happy
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now that the trees are innoculated by an English truffle expert...
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings French Gourmet. Your produce looks delicious for a first year. I'm very impressed by the squash- I don't have space for squash, so I tried to grow some in old plastic bins in spare corners, to ripen on useless concrete. I got 1 squash per plant! This year I will probably do horseradish, or sweet potato instead.

Have you tried radish pods? Grow some radishes, only about 4, and let them seed. Pick the pods when small, and use in salad, stir fry, risotto, or just blanched with a little white wine, anchovy and cream. You get so much more food from one plant, they're delicious, peppery radish, with the texture and sweetness of mangetout.

Happy gardening in Ireland!
French Gourmet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello tippben,

Thank you so much for the compliments! Smile

I admit that just like you, each squash plant only produced one mature squash that we were able to eat in the end. Each plant produced many baby squashes, that would grow to about 5-6cm long and eventually drop dead Confused I tried trimming the plant and only just leaving a few on at any one time to improve its chances.. to no avail. The difference is that I grew 4 plants, and got 4 mature squashes. Wishing you the best of luck for this year's crop, let me know when you decide what to grow, I'll be very interested.

I never tried those radishes, they sound just great, I should really give them a go, thanks for the tip! they are very popular in France, people eat them raw as a starter: they slice them into a cross in their middle and put a wee knob of butter inside of the "cross" and gulp it down! I would have never thought of using it in stirfrys but it sounds great!
My mooli is actually over-ready! (mooli is Japanese horse-radish, you have it with sushi etc...) I was meant to harvest it at the end of November but it's still in the ground... Laughing I can see that it's quite big, i really need to pick it now!
I'll do that later today i think & will post pix.

Nice talking to you. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: