Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Sharing Extra Crops

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
nkenealy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Sharing Extra Crops Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any websites in Ireland ( or in the UK maybe) where you can let people know that you have extra fruit and vegetables which you want to share. Or maybe to swap some apples for carrots when you have more apples than you know what to do with -but have to buy your carrots in the shop.
Any ideas on this.

Thanks

Neil
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: more produce than you can eat Reply with quote

My dad used to drive around to green grocers who would buy my mom's tomatoes, beans and such. He would sell just under what was the price at the local wholesale. Small shops welcome the trade, possibly for meat if it's a butcher. Locals would also come to the field with their baskets and pick their own. Just a small sign on the lawn attracted them in and they became regulars.

You could create a local food bank. Give to charities that cook meals on wheels (prepared food for shut ins, elderly.)

We also have a food service that delivers a week's worth of organic greens upon sign up for urbanites who want to know where their food is grown. They believe in supporting the local food movement (not buying anything over 100kms away).

We get gm blueberries here 12 months of the year from California. So you never know how you got your berries or what its real cost was for delivery to your supermarket in terms of gas consumption.
nkenealy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Sharing Extra Crops Reply with quote

Quote:
We also have a food service that delivers a week's worth of organic greens upon sign up for urbanites who want to know where their food is grown.

Are there any websites in Ireland for urbanites who want to exchange local produce with gardeners/farmers? The problem is finding the person who has the extra produce that you want - an exchange website would solve that problem.

Neil
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any personally, but if there are any technical people out there who would like to put together such a map system then within reason I would be glad to host it within the Irish gardeners forum.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
nkenealy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Sharing Extra Crops Reply with quote

James,

I 've done similar sites so I'll get back to you on this.
I'll send on a sample site for you to have a look at - should be back to you in about a week.

Neil
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing Extra Crops Reply with quote

Quote:
James,

I 've done similar sites so I'll get back to you on this.
I'll send on a sample site for you to have a look at - should be back to you in about a week.

Neil

That's the stuff.
A nice New Year development to cheer us all up. Smile

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: