Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Buttermilk fried rabbit - also good for chicken

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Ado 2
...What did you do Today...
Beech hedging.
Last post: DoneWick
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Buttermilk fried rabbit - also good for chicken Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay between postings. Last time I wrote about using rabbit,
and advised keeping off-cuts but this is great with chicken wings as fingerfood as well.
I believe healthier choice than the usual preservative sugar salt packed off the shelf mix that people normally use - and certainly waaaay better than chicken nuggets

Its another dish from the southern states in the US - great with collard greens and a little home made blackberry chutney.
As always there are more pics, links etc in the garden blog - link in signature - feel free to visit and comment - I aprieciate the feedback.

This meal also compliments home-made soda bread very well, and you normally use buttermilk for that - so its a great way to use up buttermilk.

It works well with chicken, but is particularly good with rabbit as it stops the game drying out. Perfectly tender, well flavored, crunchy - just what one wants in fried rabbit or chicken.

With the crunchy, fun texture it is an easy way to introduce more squeamish kids to rabbit.

350 ml - about 2 cups - of cuinneog buttermilk
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme) or a teaspoon each of the dried herbs.
Clove garlic, minced or grated
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I really like to add a 1/4 cup coriander or cilantro in this recipe as well - but only if fresh.

Recently I found an absolutely brilliant fruit and veg shop in the Eyre Square shopping centre called Mister Beans
It's run by a very helpful, nice guy. Great range of products, especially the harder to find herbs and veg - with a far better range than the nearby supermarkets.

Its well worth a visit - probably the closest thing Galway has to what you can find in Corks English Market, and I always try to support the smaller outlets against the retail giants.

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper

As a highly recommended optional extra 1/2 cup rolled porridge oatlets - I just use Flahavans.
The idea is actually Scottish, they fry herring in rolled oats and it gives real extra crunch in this recipe

1 Soak rabbit or chicken overnight (at least 8 hours and up to two days) in buttermilk with onions, herbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

2 Drain in colander, leaving some herbs on chicken. In a plastic bag, mix flour and oats with seasonings.
Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet on medium high heat until a pinch of flour starts to sizzle when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking)

3 Place rabbit or chicken pieces in bag with the oat and flour mix - shake until thoroughly coated.
Add the meat to hot pan and fry on 1 side for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and then turn the pieces over and fry for another 10-12 minutes, again until golden brown.

Be careful to keep the oil hot enough to fry the meat, but not so high as to burn, and a lid on the side just in case.

Filesize:  101.75 KB
 Viewed:  1657 Time(s)

My Garden blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: