Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

The name of these kinds of plants

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
shallon
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: The name of these kinds of plants Reply with quote

I am Chinese. I got some problems.
The leaf of some plants turns red or yellow in fall, so somebody call them fall color.
And some plants' new leaf is red or yellow, what do you call this kind of plants?
And there are some special ornamentals. Their leaf gets stripes or spots. What's this kind of plants' name?
We call all of these 3 kinds of plants in china, Coloured Leaf Plants.
What's their term in English in botany?
This term is important to me. It could help me to search English texts so that my job would get less difficulties!
Thank you a lot!
mdvaden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: The name of these kinds of plants Reply with quote

shallon wrote:
I am Chinese. I got some problems.
The leaf of some plants turns red or yellow in fall, so somebody call them fall color.
And some plants' new leaf is red or yellow, what do you call this kind of plants?
And there are some special ornamentals. Their leaf gets stripes or spots. What's this kind of plants' name?
In China, we call all of these 3 kinds of plants Coloured Leaf Plants.
What's their term in English in botany?
This term is important to me. It could help me to search English texts so that my job would get less difficulties!
Thank you a lot!
[/url]

I don't know if there is a name for the first kind - fall color on some leaves. If all the leaves turn colors and fall off - generally those are deciduous plants or trees.

Some plants like 'Hino Crimson' Azalea, have green leaves all year, but some of the older interior leaves turn shades of red. No special name other than it's own. Likewise with plants that have the similar characteristic.

Spots on leaves, like 'Gold Dust' Acuba, may be referred to as variegated plants. A few azalea, a Pieris and others are like that. Even some Juniper.

A few plants are evergreen - keeping leaves all year - and become a color in the winter, but don't loose leaves or needles. One type of Cryptomeria is like that and may turn red or purple in the winter. No special name or term for it. It just changes color.

Portland Landscape & Trees
shallon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The name of these kinds of plants Reply with quote

QUOTE-----I don't know if there is a name for the first kind - fall color on some leaves. If all the leaves turn colors and fall off - generally those are deciduous plants or trees.

Some plants like 'Hino Crimson' Azalea, have green leaves all year, but some of the older interior leaves turn shades of red. No special name other than it's own. Likewise with plants that have the similar characteristic.

Spots on leaves, like 'Gold Dust' Acuba, may be referred to as variegated plants. A few azalea, a Pieris and others are like that. Even some Juniper.

A few plants are evergreen - keeping leaves all year - and become a color in the winter, but don't loose leaves or needles. One type of Cryptomeria is like that and may turn red or purple in the winter. No special name or term for it. It just changes color.-----END QUOTE

I see!
Thank you very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: