Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

Guess whose back?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Guess whose back? Reply with quote

MONTY DON is back on Gardner's World!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/dec/08/monty-don-gardeners-world

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that ! I hadn't heard.......and I now realise I rarely watched Gardeners' World any more, so maybe the lovely Monty Don will revive my interest. Also good to know he's well enough to take it on....hasn't he had health problems ?
mountainy man
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soooooo glad , I couldn't bear toby, he came across as a blue peter presenter
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic News - had practically stopped watcing it since he went. Welcome back Monty
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Monty Don returns to gardeners World Reply with quote

Horray Protein and "Up de Banner" Thanks for the news and seasons greetings. I love this guy and it's great news to hear he's better and coming back to work. Monty is the very essence of a teacher gardener who neither talks up to you or talks down to you. My hero. When he used to be on before, I used to picture him in the Walled Garden at Dromolond. Is it still there?
walltoall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Some extra stuff to back up Protein's good news from Clare. Reply with quote

The new Gardeners World series will kick off on BBC2 'next spring' featuring the usual topical tips, jobs for the week and advice on the best places to visit at different times of year. Monty will present from his own garden, which he spent 20 years developing and which spans two acres of Herefordshire countryside.

It will be the first time since '99 the garden has been on screen. Viewers can watch the garden evolve at the same time as their own. Former Gardeners' World presenter Rachel De Thame is returning also. deT is the Nigella Lawson or 'posh totty' of UK gardening.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi walltowall, thanks for that information, I have no idea how to reply to a private mail !
But I agree with you that there is something special about Monty Don...I like his enthusiasm. He doesn't go on ego trips like so many TV presenters do. But to be fair to most gardening presenters, they do love their subject. I suspect it is their bosses that insist on stupid formats that don't really work. I wonder how much it cost the BBC to set up the present garden, for instance......what a waste.
walltoall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: monty don BBC and the great unwashed Reply with quote

"I wonder how much it cost the BBC to set up the present garden, for instance......what a waste."

It's ok Sive. From Ireland we are on the outside looking in when it comes to 'waste'. We are still close to our roots and our instincts are rooted in having little and making the most of what little we had.

You couldn't believe the waste that goes on in ALL forms of life over here. just this morning on the radio they mentioned a footballer who earns almost £300,000. Now that's a nice year's pay for booting a ball around, innit. But it is not annual salary. It was a weeks wages.... Before tax! Think of the garden you could build with that kind of weeks wages?

I couldn't be bothered looking at Gardeners World after Monty left and I'm looking forward to his return. He is just such a natural. You'd come across him in 100 Irish estate gardens in the 50s and 60s. Dromoland Castle's walled garden in Clare, Fota down Cork way, Kenure Park in Rush, even Ballymurray in Riscommon.All showed the masters touch.

Monty is part of an old fashioned breed of gardener that wants to take you along by the hand and see and share his vision. I see a lot of that here between the lines on Irish Gardeners Forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: