Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Camellia

Most Recent Posts Horse manure in bags?
Last post: tagwex
Redesigned back garden. Would like your suggestions.
Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands
hello everyone

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
socheallaigh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Camellia Reply with quote

Hi

My question concerns planting Camillias out-of-doors in Ireland. I was given a lovely little plant as a present which has flowered twice.
I was told it would be fine to plant outdoors in a sheltered spot but am beginning to have my doubts, especially with the recent snow.
The buds had a red tinge when I planted out six weeks ago (mid-late sept). It has held these but hasn't progressed at all although it still looks healthy.
I'm just worried about it's reaction to the snow.

Is it possible to repot later on? or should I just leave it to see how it fends for itself?

Sean
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think snow does half as much damage as frost does....as long as you don't let snow weigh down and break branches.
I've had camellias for years, in pots, left to fend for themselves in all sorts of weather and they seemed to survive just fine....and flower every year.
I can't see why they would be worse off in the ground...unless it's waterlogged.
The one tip I got was to have camellias where they don't get the sun first thing in the morning..........the plants can be damaged if they are frosted and then get the sun on them.
socheallaigh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to know Sive. I have positioned so they won't get sun until after noon.
Thanks
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: camellias and snow and cold Reply with quote

I second Sive's comments. My camellias survive wicked weather here in Essex. Below zero temperatures for days in Winter. Snow most years. Mostly they are shaded all day in Winter and most of the day in Summer. They're not allowed morning sun ever. But I have to feed them vast amounbts of ericaceous in the growing season due to the alkaline soil. If I ever forget they go sad very quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: