Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Pines and topiary.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Pines and topiary. Reply with quote

Here's a pic of a pine tree that I bought the other day for a bargain in a 50 litre plastic bucket.

I'm thinking of planting it in the concrete planter that you see in the pic. If I do, I'll have to make sure that it's in its final position because that concrete planter is HEAVY!

My question is; is this pine (whatever type of pine it is) suitable to be trimmed in a ball shape.

Personally I don't like topiary but I never say, never!

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got yourself a great little bargain there kindredspirit.
Now to turn a bargain into a jewel.............

Pines and Scot's pine, which I believe you have, do not lend themselves very well to shearing to a ball-like shape.
Pom-pom would be the closest you would get.
Have a look here for examples.......... http://www.plantsbeautifulnursery.com/topiary-trees.html

You wanna share where you picked up this bargain. Wink

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it was the garden centre in Birdhill village, Co. Tipperary, which is closing down.

Note to avoid confusion: there is another garden centre outside Birdhill, which is not closing down.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: scots pine Reply with quote

I agree with the boss KindredSpirit. You can't prune scots pine. Also I'm not sure how it will take to staying in that teeny pot. I've never had the experience of growing a restricted scots pine. I suspect it may pine (sorry Kevin couldn't resist it) if the roots don't get space. But it IS a very nice specimen. BTW, cupresses (well most of them!) and taxus (yew) are best evergreens for topiary of any sort. Regarding leylandii (which are a cypress) my preferred method of topiary for them lads is to use a saw about three inches up from soil level. WICKIT.

Is the garden centre "outside" Birdhill actually in Castleconnell or maybe Gouig and on the Limerick side? Is the one you bought the pine from on the Nenagh side of Birdhill? Just wondering. I lived in Montpelier for a while before garden centres rooted on the Limerick Nenagh road.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the garden centre run by Browsers, next to Matt the Thresher, which is closing down.

Buckleys, the owner who has now gone past 80, is not closing, nor is the one by Roadstone at Gooig. I can't think of the woman's name at Gooig at the minute.

Montpelier is a beautiful place. I used to go water-skiing there (while you were tearing around the roads with PC! ) Razz Razz Razz

As regards pruning, maybe I'll go for the Japanese style "cloud" look. I've plenty of time to think about it. I've no space in the garden for a full size Scots Pine so it'll have to content itself with being rootbound in the large concrete planter.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some real topiary!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: