Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Global Food and Irish Economy

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Global Food and Irish Economy Reply with quote

Yes, now with the bailout, who can predict what kinds of necessary evils will be foisted upon the Irish farm industry. Perhaps, as in Canada, cheap land will be bought up by agribusiness and new scientifically engineered vegetables and animals could invade the marketplace. If you're interested in the worst case scenario now playing out in my end of the world, have a look at the series in the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/global-food/

which is our best newspaper. Of course, our agricultural laws are less strict towards GM produce than in the EU, but given the way the global economy is going, there is much to fear. Yes, I did notice that the farm fresh eggs, milk, veg (much dearer in the market stores) had far superior flavor than our Canadian supermarket brands. Hope that it doesn't affect Irish farming in time to come.
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: price of farming land in Ireland Reply with quote

there are big drops in the price of farming land.
there is a good graph in the link below comparing prices of land in euriope before the price drop in Ireland
http://irelandafternama.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/euro-land-values2.jpg

http://resources.knightfrank.com/GetResearchResource.ashx?id=11822

http://irelandafternama.wordpress.com/tag/land-prices/

Looks like france seems a good place to buy land.
Hope the price of land for gardening keeps going down.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: zoned land and arable land Reply with quote

Yes, zoned land in Ireland was once the most expensive in the EU when the building boom was on and from what I heard, builders were getting grants to put up 5 houses to qualify for government incentives. Now there's a surplus of unfinished and vacant structures and bankrupt investors. The lesson is an old one. Don't use someone else's money. The stock market is a gamble. Buy land and pay it off.

On a more happy note, anyone read any good books lately? It seems that all the literary award winners and depressing stories written in the modern style about cold, miserable people who live with past horrors and can't move on. Looking for a good yarn, especially escapist material.
sunnymount farm
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definately a concern ormondsview but I can't see ireland going down that route. The irish landscape of smaller farms in general is probably less appealing to corporate land buyers for agriculture.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ireland probably needs to concentrate more on value added products - e.g. cheeses, which seems to be a burgeoning sector which ireland has not been historically strong in.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ormondesview, you might like to try the Stieg Larsson trilogy. They'll probably be in your local library but make sure you read them in order, beginning with 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'.

As regards the horticultural future of Ireland, it'll need a sea change of attitude in both the business community and the private population as a whole to minimise the effects of the financial downturn. There are a whole host of opportunities out there (cheese has already been mentioned) but, as I know to my cost, if you approach businesses with a product design to develop, they ignore e-mails or never ring you back and much of the benefit that COULD be derived from the upturn in domestic food production, both in Ireland and abroad, will be snapped up by others.

In another thread I was reminded that there are commercial backers who sponsor this fabulous site. I therefore looked up the price of an item I know the UK price of and found it costing €50 here against £28 in the UK so, even with post and packing, it'll be cheaper on line. Whatever the excuse might be, this sort of thing can't go on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: