Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

HARD TIMES ahead !

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: HARD TIMES ahead ! Reply with quote

For any of us gardeners that are lucky enough to have a patch of ground to call our own, we may need those resources more than ever as the economic news grows ever gloomier.
I see gardening as a wonderful way to keep occupied and sane....we can also enjoy the fruits of our labour and even share them around when we have a surplus....and no more generous souls than gardeners I always think.
What plans do you all have for the coming year ? What do you plan to grow ? Are you thinking of keeping hens....? Or getting a lamb to cut the grass and fill the freezer ?
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.......
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a turnaround where farmland will now be more precious than developemnt land. I will be growing away as usual. All my own salad vegetables and any ones easy to store like onions and potatoes. no hens or lambs but thinking of getting a pig!
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a rumour going round that there'll be a tax on growing your own veg in the budget!
Sugar_Ape
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdie wrote:
What a turnaround where farmland will now be more precious than developemnt land.

A lot of veg / crops could be grown where ghost estates now reside. What a waste of land.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe everything you read, journalists have become lazy.
Wexford was supposed to have 180 "ghost estates" according to the media. The council have counted exactly ten with a possible 19 more being nearly eligible for the description, having less than 50% occupancy.
One estate near Gorey is described as "ghost" because the builder got permission for 10 houses but only built 9 !
The media are, in varying degrees, doing a lot of damage to confidence in the country generally.We need to be told the truth, not fed dramatic headlines.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My signature below is coming true for a lot of people.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Unemployment is capitalisms way of getting you to plant .. Reply with quote

Unemployment is capitalisms way of getting you to plant a garden'

Well quoted Cooler.

Let's make sure we do the deep digging this week for fear of the snow. It may be a cold winter but sure we have the cabbage plants under glass.

Well? We have? haven't we? Sad

is there any truth in the rumour that

Apple is bringing out a cabbage planter app for the i-phone for the New Year? Question

Adam
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar_Ape wrote:
birdie wrote:
What a turnaround where farmland will now be more precious than developemnt land.

A lot of veg / crops could be grown where ghost estates now reside. What a waste of land.

A lot of homeless families could also be put into said ghost estates, but the government only care about themselves.

I can see them eventually flattening the land and using it for farming though Wink
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probably isn't the place for such discussion, but putting a homeless family in an unoccupied house is not even half the battle.

however, i understand that there are hundreds if not thousands of council houses in dublin which are empty because it was easier for them during the boom to buy or rent elsewhere than to spend the (significant) money to renovate those houses and bring them up to standard.
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My signature below is coming true for a lot of people.

Great metaphor COOLER and you are so right capitalism is destroying itself and the government won't change things and are letting it take the people down with it.
I was so disturbed to hear about the two kids looking for food in bins in Waterford. Some people really are at crisis point and everyone needs to work together to sustain a future were people are feed and sheltered and not worried about taxes, wage cuts etc.
There are CSA (community supported agriculture) scheme running in Ireland and they insure a much more sustainable, affordable way of producing food and even the poorest of people can get involved and provide for themselves and others.
But governments won't encourage this way of life because how can they tax it.
As for myself I'm increasing the growing area, putting up a polytunnel, getting some pigs, and I would love to start my own CSA scheme in the community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: