Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Pronunciation of Latin plant names.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Pronunciation of Latin plant names. Reply with quote

http://www.finegardening.com/pguide/pronunciation-guide-to-botanical-latin.aspx
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have used this.. its great to get your head around those tricky pronunciations.... great recommendation!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Latin pronunciation Reply with quote

Interesting site KindredSpirit and some really amusing pronunciations.
Exclamation "Abelmoschus"Exclamation is right off the wall, I'm afraid.
Latin is the root language of English and the 'Latin' used in botany is absolutely phonetic for an English speaker so long as you break the word down to its basic syllables. (and pick the right breaks). Pronouncing botanical names is easy-peasy if you unravel the syllables. You WILL get it right and with VERY little effort. You all know that I talk a lot of rhubarb. Well watch out for rhubarb in Latin it only has one syllable. Rheum contains "eu" nothing to do with those bsatrads currently screwing us. It means that Rheum is pronounced exactly like "room" and not ray-umm! Hawh?

The initial 'a' in "Abelmoschus" rhymes with HAY. So the word is pronounced able - moss - cuss or words to that effect.
She pronounced it as if it was German. abble- moshes:oops:
Now I think that's enough rhubarb from this place for one night.

vincentdunne
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good site, Kindredspirit, it is a good help in prune-ounce-e-eish-e-ens.
The only problem is that it is american, but that is a small quibble.
Walltoall, you are right of course, you will find variations, but then, you will find variations in all words (listen to people pronounce 'vulnerable').
The important thing is to pronounce your latin names with confidence, then the other person will think you are right and they are wrong. lol
walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: pronouncing latin plant names Reply with quote

Well said VincentDunne. The more confidence you have in your pronunciation the more likely it is to be right. BTW, my accent is Fingallian and I pronounce "100" as "wun-hun-durt". I also read "boo-kiss" and used to milk "key-owse". I often wonder how anybody understands my English. Laughing
vincentdunne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in England for a while, they would try to get me to say 'turty tree and a turd'.
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: latin pronunciation Reply with quote

thats how I say it too. But I say 'themms' for the longest river in Berks. and they say 'temms'. BTW, turty tree and a turd in Latin would be something like XXXiii + i/XXXiii but i haven't a clue how to pronounce it. Or is turty XXL? Have we a latin matemathician in de house?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Latin pronunciation Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Interesting site KindredSpirit and some really amusing pronunciations.

Latin is the root language of English and the 'Latin' used in botany is absolutely phonetic for an English speaker so long as you break the word down to its basic syllables. (and pick the right breaks).

Hi Shaun,

The root language of English is Germanic!

The Romance languages based on Latin are French, Spanish, Italian etc.

Two different structures. A simple example here.
La maison rouge. (Fr)
The red house. (Eng)
Das rote haus. (Ger)
La casa roja. (Span)

You can see the different structures in the position of the adjective and the type of definitive article. Syllable stress is also different in both root languages.

Just being pedantic! Smile Smile Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite ( Dublin ) pronunciation is " fillum "......I hate the American "movie" which has crept in. SO much nicer to go to see a "fillum" with a friend ...!
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: latin pronunciation via german Reply with quote

Evening KindredSpirit if we can't be pedantic we can't have an argument about anything. "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog" is one of the best know sentences in English. But we would say as gaeilge "Léim an sionnach glic tar dhroim an mada falsa" proving beyond doubt that Irish does not devolve from a Germanic ancestor. My lady wife being icelandic speaks a tongue very closely aligned to the language spoken by the angles and saxons when they landed in merry England. Actually the modern european language that most resembles modern English is possibly Dutch. But that won't help us to glibly trip those "Latin" botanical names off the tongue. Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb BTW, Sive we go to the picktchers in Fingal. South-siders and Corkonians go to see fillums and movie buffs are the stuffed shirts from Ranelagh. and Montenotte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: