Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Acidanthera/Abyssinian Gladiola

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Acidanthera/Abyssinian Gladiola Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Around this time last year I despaired of ever growing this beautiful late flowering flower. They are widely for sale in supermarkets and garden shops in very early spring. They are very inexpensive and they look lovely on the packet and I was tempted. I had another go this year and I did some research on the net. It seems it grows very successfully in the west coast of the USA. In Ireland you must plant it in nine inch deep pots early in spring and keep them warm.. I kept them in an unheated tunnel. When the leaf spears appeared I began feeding once a week with a weak tomato feed. I was careful to water the odd time but never to over water as they are natives of Eritrea. When the weather got a little warmer ( not til late May this year) I brought them outside.
At this stage I noticed that the saxifrage which I had growing at the front of my border was full of grass and I hit on the idea of digging these up and planting the clean parts of the plants in another part of the garden. I will put these new clean plants back in the border soon now. In the space I had now that the saxifrage was gone I sunk the pots of acidanthera. This was an improvement already as the grass filled saxifrage was now gone and there were healthy green spears in their place. I told my wife not to expect too much as they had failed to flower in the previous year.
I continued to feed weekly and lo and behold they began to flower in late august and they continued to flower through September. They have a beautiful scent which you would really get the benefit of if your garden was sheltered. When the first frost appeared , late October, I dug them up and washed and dried the bulbs after I had cut off the leaves and rubbed away the tiny bulblets around the roots of the bulb. I put them in a paper bag and they are now in the shed until next spring when I will plant again. The are a really great value plant which provide colour and scent late in the season.

P9120064-1.JPG
 Description:
This is a picture of one of the flowers but I had them in profusion
 Filesize:  47.65 KB
 Viewed:  2862 Time(s)

P9120064-1.JPG

breezyacre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James I think this article is filed under the wrong title. It shouldn't be under diseases and pests. It is probably there because I created it after reading the item on slug in spuds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: