Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Trees in a storm

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Iskeraulin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Trees in a storm Reply with quote

We have a tall ash tree that is about 15 meters away from our house gable,

now its stormy outside, and im worried that it might fall down,

but I think it will survive, my old man wants to cut it down.

any suggestions on making it safer, I personally like the tree and want to keep it there.

regards

CH

os could your relocate it?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: storms and ash Reply with quote

Well the storm is blowing right now so I can only hope it has NOT fallen on the house. If all the leaves are gone it is extremely unlikely the wind will blow it down. Usually trees get blown down when they are loaded with leaves like May to October. So I hope I'm right this time!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the root plate. If it is not obviously lifting, and there are no big cracks in the ground, then the root system is stable. Check for any signs of rot, cracking, or obvious fungi in the trunk. If you are at all concerned, consult a professional arboriculturalist (NOT a local "tree surgeon!", who is likely to spot "dangerous!" and charge you for cutting it down unnecessarily).

Ash respond very well to pollarding. This means reducing the tree to a main stem (like a totem pole) over the winter, at whatever height you wish. It will then sprout new branches from the cut point, which can grow very fast. This will prolong the tree's lifespan, and minimise any risk of the tree falling. You could also have the tree "reduced", ie, having every branch pruned by up to a maximum of 1/3. The tree would then sprout from these cut point, and thicken its canopy. Ash is probably the best firewood going as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: