Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Concerned about my Silver Birch

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
hoandere
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Concerned about my Silver Birch Reply with quote

Hi. This is my first post but have been reading this forum for advice for the last year. I live in an estate and last March/April I planted four Silver birch trees to, in time, provide a non - intrusive (as opposed to Leylandii) privacy screen at the back fence of my back garden. I chose these trees after reading the admin's post on 'trees for privacy' so many thanks for that! The trees varied from 12 to 16 feet, were planted bare - root, dug up in the nursery in the morning and planted by me that very evening.

When the summer came, I was expecting a blaze of leaves and growth but was slightly disappointed. The leaves came on quite sporadically, and in one of the trees, the leaves were completely tiny.

Am I worrying unduly? Do the Silver Birch trees need a bit more time to root properly before there will be full foliage? Is there anything I should do over the winter? When should I expect to see these trees take off? Next year?

As you have probably guessed, I am a complete novice at gardening but I like to spend time in the garden pottering around and I am slowly learning.

Many thanks
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that size, bare-root, they'd get quite a shock being transplanted, I'd imagine.

Did you backfill the hole with just earth or did you add a bit of compost to help the new roots travel?

I'd say they'd be OK next year. Maybe give them a low ratio fertilizer in the Spring?

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
hoandere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. Yes. I backfilled with some compost but on hindsight probably not enough. In the spring time I will apply some of that fertiliser you have mentioned and have for a much improved showing next year!
vincentdunne
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Another point to add is that, although it did not seem like it, it was a very dry year for trees (here anyway) and birch is quite shallow rooting. They should be fine next year, but don't forget water (they do often grow in bogs)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: