Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

how did your tomatoes do this year ?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: how did your tomatoes do this year ? Reply with quote

well im sorry to see the end of the best season ive ever had for toms.I grew 4 different types
Amish Paste
Super Marmande
San Marzano
basket tom i bought from a market trader in fermoy ( small toms by the ton )
Amish paste did well and had some really fleshy fruit will do again
Super marmande was great and the plants collapsed with the wieght of the fruit and had to be recaned twice
San Marzano was excellent and i'll have toms for cooking from the freezer right through the winter
Basket tom (dont have the name but will be tracking down the guy i bought them from to be sure i get some for next year) i've never seen a producer like it.They just kept giving and giving and 2 plants kept 6 households in cherry toms for the whole season.How did yours do ?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi windy, your output sounds amazing.....I have grown (indoor ) tomatoes for the first time in my life, and am delighted with the results. Nowhere as good as yours by the sounds of things, but perfect for a household of two and a few gifts too. Only six plants...but then I really wouldn't know what to do with a glut. How do you freeze them ?
windy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
hi windy, your output sounds amazing.....I have grown (indoor ) tomatoes for the first time in my life, and am delighted with the results. Nowhere as good as yours by the sounds of things, but perfect for a household of two and a few gifts too. Only six plants...but then I really wouldn't know what to do with a glut. How do you freeze them ?

Hi Sive, we just froze some whole to use in stews caseroles and so on,made some into pasta sause and more into chutnet and relish.Theres nothing complicated about bottleing them just save some jars with the pop up dimple in the top,sterilise them and put in your toms while still warm and seal.We got all the tips and so on by Googleing for whatever we wanted .The amount of reciepies etc is amazing and at least now we know what were eating over the winter (all organic ) Very Happy
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that windy, we eat little chutney or relish, so freezing would be far more useful for me.....and it would save buying endless tins of tomatoes for pasta sauces etc. But luckily (?) I didn't get a glut from my six plants, and I won't have many green ones to cope with either....so I either didn't produce as many tomatoes as I should have or else the six plants were perfect for our needs.
Liz D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like yours did really well! I grew cherry tomatoes- "Gardner's Delight" and they multiplied like crazy. We had two plants and they kept two of us well fed. I added a small bit of tomato feed twice- once in late spring and once in June and some burst on the vine because we weren't eating them fast enough! I think the warm summer helped...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: