Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

yellowing grass with clumps

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rowan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: yellowing grass with clumps Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
apologies if this was covered already, but I'm wondering what to do with my lawn. I sowed it just before the dry spell this summer and it took ages to come through. It eventually started to come on and I applied fertilizer which really brought on the grass and it was all a deep green colour, since then it seems to have turned a yellowy/redish colour in parts, with very little growth, while other parts grow very quick+in deep green clumps. I'm going to attempt to attach a picture which might explain it better.

All the best,
Rowan

garden 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.22 KB
 Viewed:  5882 Time(s)

garden 2.jpg

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rowan
It looks like you have a dog....Smile or one using the garden at a loo.....High nitrogen causes the greening

Rowan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello inishindie, I do have a dog and that may be the answer, but the picture I took is one of the more patchy areas, there are other much larger areas of lush green growth ( 6 square meters etc) alongside large areas of poor, yellowy grass. The dog doesn't really get into the garden often as we keep him in his own area. Also I read somewhere that dog urine will kill grass, dunno how true that is. What would cause the other grass to start yellowing?

Regards
Rowan
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibilityfor the Yellow Grass is the presence of Daddy-long-legs (Crane Fly) these Leatherjackets eat the Grass Roots and the 1st you know about it is when you see these patches or flocks of Starlings probing for grubs,you have 2 options,you can repair a pecked-up surface after the Birds have finished.Alternatively you can nip the problem in the bud by colecting up the Craneflies when they congregate for the orgy.
I have also heard that the Urine from a Bitch does Yellow the Grass,if your in the area when this occurs pour plenty of water on it this helps to dilute the acid thus minimising the damage.
Dave.
Rowan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats very interesting dave, I'll have too watch out for them. Never heard that before. I have a bitch alright but she couldn't have covered the large areas that are affected. I just remembered that when the grass was originally set last june a yellow weed (looks a bit like rapeseed) started growing profusely chocking the grass. Someone suggested that we spray the weed with a spray which shouldn't damage the grass, we did this and it killed the weeds and the grass grew but I'm wondering if that spray might have done damage?

Regards
Rowan
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rowan.Any one of the following could also be a contributing factor to your "Yellowing" problem
Drought,I know your asking yourself"Is this Fella for real or what"with all the rain we are having but remember your lawn is down a few Months and we did have some hot Days in the early stages of your lawn,also if you have sandy soil that acts like a sieve which means your lawn may have needed twice as much water as it was getting,think about it.
Nutrient Deficiency.Lawns lacking in Nutrients will develop a sickly Yellow Colour,if you have not fed the lawn in a while give it some Fertilizer.
Chemical Burns,If you misapplied any Chemicals to the lawn IE Fertilizer,Insecticide etc you can end up burning it,best answer to that is to water and wait.
Animal Damage.We have already spoke on that.
Lawn Disease,Lawn Fungas can also lead to Yellowing spots,

Hope some of the above may throw some light on the cause of your problem. Dave.
Rowan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dave,
that gives me a bit to think about. The drainage point is interesting as it is quite sandy. Also the grass wasn't growing that well at the beginning due to the drought, so I added fertilizer early on Embarassed . It did grow for a while after that but then started to yellow so dunno if the fertilizer caused a delayed adverse effect. bought some more fertilizer today at the local co-op. i think its 7:6:17, do you think its worth putting this on and is it the correct ratios for this time of year.

Cheers
Rowan
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bought some more fertilizer today at the local co-op. i think its 7:6:17, do you think its worth putting this on and is it the correct ratios for this time of year.

Cheers
Rowan

0-7-30 would be a much more suitable fertiliser at this time of year.
You don't want to promote leaf growth, which the 7 in 7:6:17 will do.
The 0 in 0-7-30 make it much more suitable for autumn use due to there being little if any nitrogen.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James,Just back in Sligo after Touring the South for the past Week(I drive a Coach) when I checked the Forum I saw that you had answered Rowans query,I'm off to Galway tomorrow but hopefully I'll have a few suggestions for Maggie before the Week-end.
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: