Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Supporting a neglected community

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Supporting a neglected community Reply with quote

Wow!

I am totally amazed and delighted. The housing development where I live has been awarded a sum of money ( 10000euros) by Bloom 2010 and Specsavers to plant some trees and 3000 bulbs.

It is badly needed, as there has been almost no landscaping by the builder. Besides the gardens here are small and many occupants of the terraced townhouses quite honestly allow their front garden area to become rank with tall weeds or household rubbish.

It can bequite depressing at times to walk through the streets of this hard landscape and neglected gardens..

I quite forget at times that although I love gardening and attending to it with enthusiasm ,although I face a green area and uninterrupted sea view and that although this macro setting seems quite idyllic, that just around the corner is a gardening wasteland, lol.

I have often thought of sprucing the development up a bit with a smattering of jolly coloured bulbs for spring but have been deterrred by the prospect of bold children or teenagers destroying them.

But now alleluja, for the foresight of the sponsors at Bloom and Specsavers who by way of their donation are encouraging communities to get involved in looking after their own local green environment.

A mass planting is on tomorrow, organised by the residents' association. I have to be in work by the early afternoon but that's not gonna stop me from supporting this great opportunity to work together.

artalis
Very Happy

John 3:16
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful story and a great way to bring a community together...people will soon have enormous pride in the whole area, and will ensure it is well looked after.
Well done to the sponsors too. You'll be entering the Tidy Towns competition next !
We live near a village that has a very active Tidy Towns committee, and I have no doubt that it enhances peoples' lives enormously when they walk through tidy, litter-free and well planted environments.
I hope your transformation goes equally well !
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant news!

Make sure they dig non-round holes for the trees! Laughing Laughing

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
artalis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: in a hole Reply with quote

Good one!

artalis Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Shocked Cool Laughing Wink Arrow Smile Razz

Eh but what about mass plantings of bulbs???? Or is that digging a hole for myself.lol?

John 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: