Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Having Problems Can You Help Please

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
faolteam
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Having Problems Can You Help Please Reply with quote

i layed a lawn last july everything was fine it was the roll out sods from a reptuable dealer , before i put the sods down i used a bonemeal fertilizer recommended by the garden expert in the hardware store i used the shears for the first few times and eventually used a qualcast electric mower making sure to keep it at its highest,

i watered it every day but have noticed in the last week that there are quite a few bald patches and some of teh grass is yellow turning whitish, also the ground is quite wet and soggy,

i do have a trailer to catch teh grass but there may have been some cut grass on the lawn,even though i used the plastic rake on it,

i dont hose it now like i used to but is soggy when u walk on it

i know my lawn is not dead flat and there is a sort of up and down motion but im rather dissapointed now, what am i doing wrong and can i save it Rolling Eyes
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Faolteam. My Son also had the same problem after rolling out his Lawn but with a little coaxing and TLC its now repaying the little work I did on it .1st I got a Pitch Fork and prodded the Ground maneuvring the Fork to and fro so as to open the Ground and allow for drainage and Air to penetrate,if the Ground is hard use your Foot to dig deep and dont be afraid to wiggle the Fork you wont do any harm to the Lawn.
2nd,Loosen up the bald areas and sprinkle a little Grass Seed (its still warm enough) on them,usually on a new Lawn I dont remove the cut Grass until the 3rd cut (others may disagree but we all have our own methods) his Lawn is now as near to perfect as you will get.During the Summer the Lawn had its usual share of Childrens Toys including a Paddling Pool resulting in several bald patches since removing them and following the above Instructions the Lawn is perfect again.
Nature is great for "Healing itself" so dont over indulge in TLC a little is better than a lot,you've done your part now let Nature do it's part.Hope that has given you some Heart.all the best.
Dave.
faolteam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: thanks Dave Reply with quote

What feed do i need to give it for autumn and should i use a garden sand?
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from doing what I've described I did nothing else.you've got to learn to trust Mother Nature she knows best and in time you will see that,You have done everything correctly to get the Lawn Established.If you wish you can rake the Lawn to remove "Thatch" and apply Autumn Lawn Fertilizer.
Dave.
faolteam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: hi i put down Reply with quote

an autumn feed, i used the patch magic in some areas and i put down some Silver Sand Lime Free, in some areas that were damp, my only concern now is that the sand i put down is a bit lumpy even though i did wet it

Will that effect the grass or will it just dissolve and the grass sit up and grow through it
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sand will do no damage to the Lawn,over a very short period of time the Rain will gradually wash it into it.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I sent you a PM on Friday last.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oop's that should read Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: