Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Saving chard seed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
anthonynolan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Saving chard seed Reply with quote

Hi, I have grown swiss chard for several years now and have decided to try to save some seed. The plants have gone to flower now and I am planning on leaving them where they are until they die back. I am going to dig up the roots carefully then and store them in a box of dry compost.
I think the idea is that I replant these in the spring and they produce seeds in the autumn. The instructions I found online were not all that clear - at least not to me Smile
I was wondering if anyone here has done this before with chard?
I have saved some tomato see this year too and it seems fine - bit easier that though as it is a one year thing.

Thanks,

Anthony Nolan

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no need to dig up the chard plants as they are biennials and will grow again next Spring and produce a long flowering stem (the flower is insignificant). When flowering is over and the seeds begin to wither and dry, cut the stems off near ground level and bring them inside to dry and they fall off the stem easily when dry. Store for use the following Spring or can be sown in late Summer of same year. Do not save the seeds from plants raised from F1 hybrids as these will not come true to type and you will be disappointed with the results.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
anthonynolan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that Michael. I will mark the location of the chard when they die back so that I don't dig them up by accident in the spring. I have a small garden, so every square foot has to be used Very Happy

Anthony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: