Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Eco friendly treated wood for raised beds?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Eco friendly treated wood for raised beds? Reply with quote

Hi

I am looking to make a few more raised beds. I popped over to our 2 local wood yards but neither of them had any eco friendly pressure treated wood. Am I barking up the wrong tree here with my inquiries? They could only offer the familiar greeny coloured chemical type. Any ideas where I could source some eco treated planks please?

Thanks

Ian

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian. When you say Woodyard do you mean as in a Builders Providers Yard or a Saw Mill Yard. The reason I ask is that you ought to be able to get what your looking for in a Saw Mill,I have purchased several lots of treated Timber from my local Mill without Colour or stain,If by Eco friendly you mean pressure treated your Saw Mill can provide that service. Dave.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave.

One's the local Co-op and the other are builders providers. The builders provider phoned up the company that does all of their pressure treated wood and they said they didn't do such a thing.
I might be getting a bit confused here as I am finding out that Tanalised wood is good for raised beds as it's claimed it is suitable for edible gardening. I have been told that's what most of the stuff in the builders merchants are.

http://www.archchemicals.com/fed/WOOD/Products/PreservativeProtection/tanalised.htm

I might be tempted to get untreated and put on some eco preservative...I don't know if I need to be concerned though if what I am told is true....I might be looking into this a bit too much, I'm sure most raised beds are made from tanalised wood.....

Ian

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian.I hope the next few lines help in some way to getting you what your looking for.
Pressurized Timber is Leach resistant,in other words soluble constituents have been dissolved and washed out of the Timber by means of a percolating liquid ensuring a longer and trouble-free Lifespan.
Tanalised Timber is Impregnated with a Preservative Solution under high pressure.
Pressurized Timber appears to be what your looking for as it has no "Man-made" Additives.Hope that is of some help to you.
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: