Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Greenhouse Soil.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Greenhouse Soil. Reply with quote

I started cleaning out the greenhouse today...having dug up the tomato and cucumber plants im left with soil that is full of roots..what should i do with this soil? i was going to completely dig it out and scatter around my veg plot.. is this the right thing to do?

thanks!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this is the first crop of tomatoes from this soil and if the roots were quite healthy then you could grow another crop or two in the same soil. it all depends then on how much soil has to be shifted and the availability of good fresh soil from your own garden or elsewhere. Soil from the glasshouse could be used very usefully in the vegetable garden. Do not bring soil into the glasshouse that has grown tomatoes or potatoes in the past 3-4 years.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this is the first crop of tomatoes from this soil and if the roots were quite healthy then you could grow another crop or two in the same soil. it all depends then on how much soil has to be shifted and the availability of good fresh soil from your own garden or elsewhere. Soil from the glasshouse could be used very usefully in the vegetable garden. Do not bring soil into the glasshouse that has grown tomatoes or potatoes in the past 3-4 years.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great thanks michael. I decided to dig out the soil because i had raised the soil level using bags of multi purpose compost..i havwe recently dug the whole garden so im going to transplant that soil into the glasshouse for next year!

thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: