Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Can I leave spring bulbs outside in containers over winter??

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Can I leave spring bulbs outside in containers over winter?? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm already thinking about colour next spring! I was wondering what the thoughts on bulbs in containers outside over winter was. I know in an ideal world that if they were planted in containers they would be stored in a garage or shed, but I'm afraid I dont have that much space.
Would it be ok to plant up some containers for the borders and just leave them to the elements for the winter or should I wait until Jan/Feb and buy container bulbs coming into flower?? I love spring containers, but I dont want to pot them up now if they'll freeeze outside. I have quite a few daffodils and bluebells in the borders but would like more variety.

Any help appreciated

Sunflower Very Happy
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never put bulbs in pots away in sheds or a garage.....just go ahead and plant your bulbs either directly into the ground or in pots, they'll be fine. I would imagine buying them in containers in the spring would be many, many times the expense....much cheaper to buy now, plant them and forget about them until that magic moment when you see the little green shoots pushing through the earth !
Sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive, thats settled so - into containers they go! i love the choice of spring bulbs at this time of year in the shops - i planted alliums last year, and will def be adding to those this year. Very Happy
frengers80

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: bulbs in pots Reply with quote

hi,agree with the above,bulbs are better off outside,cooler weather will help them develope good root systems before christmas.some earlier posts this year about bulbs in pots etc,worth looking at too.good luck!!
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your still worried about the little Blighters in the depths of Winter try covering the Pots with Straw or Aeroboard,
Sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're done and out, covered with a top layer of chipped bark. thanks all Very Happy

Just have to wait for spring now!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: