Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

killing fungus gnats

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
banner
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: killing fungus gnats Reply with quote

I wanted to grow some seeds inside but since the time was not right i chose to grow wall flowers inside, just to see if they would grow, experimenting.

They did but there are loads of what i believe are fungus gnats which were probably in the compost? How do i kill these without harming the flowers. i put the pot outside for the moment but do nit want to leave it out. Can i use soapy water?

And how do you ensure that gnats are not in the compost. Are they also in the other compost for lime hating plants i bought last week
littlesparrows
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like using sprays or anything, so I have dealt with fungus gnats by scraping away a good top layer of the plant soil, boiling some largish gravel, and when it cools place it on the top of the compost. This seems to get rid of them, I think they lay their eggs fairly shallowly in the top of the pot and definitely do not like sterilised gravel. If you do not like it either, you can leave it for a week or so and then remove it and replace with good sterile compost, probably bought in a garden centre. Then do not water ever until you have tested with your finger and found that the plant really does need watering.

I forgot to comment on the query re. fungus gnats in bought compost. In my experience I have never come across this, although it is possible that if there were a hole in the plastic in which the compost is sold, a lot of moisture could get in and fungus gnats follow. But no garden compost producer would be in business long if their produce were full of gnats. However, I allow that strange things can happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: