Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Large Pear tree - pruning & recepies

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
julesDUB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Large Pear tree - pruning & recepies Reply with quote

Hello

I'm new to gardening and I have a very large mature pear tree in my back garden.

This tree is producing hundreds of pears and last year (and this) I had to throw away most of them - well actually I composted then so they're not totally goping to waste

I have a couple of questions regarding -

the tree is maybe 30 - 40 feet high with large clusters of fruit very high up - what's the best way to get these - let them fall?
when can I prune this and how savage can I be - I just want it to block out the view of the house behind me - any tips to books or techniques on pruning would also be apreciated as I intend to do it myself
Finally - anybody got any good ideas on what to do with all these pears - preferably that doesn't involve peeling them Very Happy

thanks

Julian
Daithic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian, You can buy a fruit picker with a telescopic handle that can reach the topmost fruit. This is a device that looks like a fishing net but more robust and some come with a scissors-like device that can be operated by a string in the handle. They vary in expense from €20 to however fancy you want to get! Here is a picture of one....

I am not an expert on pruning but I think you should be ok to prune it hard - I usually have a rule to take one-third the length of the growth to keep things in control. It may be still a little early to prune as it is not dormant and also other disease may penetrate the cuts - thought you could use a prune sealer (brush on when you make the cut). Here is a video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xZ2DolUSy4

Lots of pears - why not make Perry (Pear version of cider!)

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the tree is very large and tall and producing hundreds of fruits then it is probably Laxton's Superb, a variety that is normally grown as a pollinator (a very good one). What would help to confirm this variety is that it generally ripens early but goes black/brown and soft in the centre.
If it crops very well every year then it is likely that the branches will be more spreading than upright. Laxtons Superb is more upright than spreading.
Yes I agree that it should be cut back by one third. This cutting back will cause it to reduce crops and respond with young growth. The following years continue to cut back one third of the growth produced in the current year. Feeding should always match the pruning.Balanced manuring is vital for good balanced growth and cropping.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
julesDUB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all
thechef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poached pears in vannilla custard with puff swirls mmmmm
apple and pear crumble cant go wrong
pear sorbet is an easy one
last ages in the frezzer
pears poached in a red wine suryp are good in salads with toasted walnuts and lardons of bacon now thats nice
make lemonade but with pears again last ages
chutney
theres a few ideas for you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: