Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Right Spot Please

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Right Spot Please Reply with quote

Hi all,

I planted this bulb 2 or 3 yrs ago, and then forgot what it was, lol.

When in position, the leaves are 6 inches long and fleshy strap like in appearance, something like an agapanthus but shorter and lusher. It has never flowered although it appears to be healthy. The bulb is huge and one piece, even although it looks like a cluster of smaller bulbs. I wondered if it was an allium or a garlic, but it hasn't produced any flower yet so I can't identify it.

I want to get the planting position right, to encourage the bulb to flower. So before replanting, any help, would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

artalis Smile

Bulb 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.23 KB
 Viewed:  6457 Time(s)

Bulb 1a.jpg

bulb 2a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.16 KB
 Viewed:  6457 Time(s)

bulb 2a.jpg

John 3:16
artalis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: corm Reply with quote

Might be a corm and not a true bulb?
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what your bulb is.
I do not believe it is a corm.
To eliminate Allium try to crush a leaf. It will smell of onion... if Allium.

It may be Agapanthus. Maybe it hasn't flowered as it is not in a hot sunny spot. They take a few years to settle down before flowering.

Try planting it in a flowerpot, move inside to a frost free place for the winter.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=60
artalis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: ? bulb or corm have I on my boot, lol. Reply with quote

Hi Silver Surfer,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the allium test tomorrow. I bought a number of allium a few yrs ago and it was around then that I planted these unidentified ones.

I have a few agapanthus in the garden already and none of them need to be lifted over the winter period, as I am in a mild zone by the sea. My agapanthus in the front garden, which faces East to South East, stay evergreen all winter if I allow the dead foliage of crocosmia to stay and provide shelter.

The ? bulbs were in a south facing position and in a raised bed before I moved them to a pot. I should have mentioned that they were moved for a practical reason. Until last December, hubby and I parked our motorbikes on the rear patio very close to the raised bed where these ? bulbs were situated. Very annoyingly every time, that hubby dismounted he would step on the bulbs and squish the leaves.

Our bikes are now housed in a concrete shed but the poor bulbs were lifted in the spring this year and potted up to give them a chance to recover. They grew on really well and looked lush. But the reason they may not have flowered so far could be obuse, lol. Also the soil where they were located may have been too dry, with too much compost in the upper layer of the raised bed.

The ? bulb also has much shorter and fleshier leaves than any of my agapanthus.

What about acidanthera? They have similar leaves.

I did see a flower on one of these ? a couple of years ( there are 3 separate plants and each one produces a rosette like formation of strap like fleshy leaves, about 6 inches long) ago, but I am not sure whether it was in fact a flower from a stray iris reticulata that was growing alongside? The flower was a dark purple, I think with three petals, situated very close to the base of the ? plant's crown.

Now has that confused matters even more, lol?

They ? are temporarily heeled in now until the arrival of some bulbs from Holland. At the moment, I am guessing that they will need a sunny position, balanced soil mix, free drainage and eh clear of big m-bike boots, lol.

Will do the onion test in the morning and see what happens next.

Thanks again.

artalis Smile

Silver surfer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a bit surprised that the poor thing hasn't flowered it it has been regularly walked on. Struggling to stay alive probably! It may take a year or two to build up strength to flower again.

You can rule out the Acidanthera. Now correctly called Gladiolus murielae. This is a corm. They look very different. Also Gladiolus leaves are flat. with vertical ridges up them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12567713@N00/29783914/

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&q=gladiolus%20murielae&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1247&bih=528

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/Manual-Of-Horticulture/images/Fig-5-Corms-of-the-gladiolus-showing-the-cormels-or-the.jpg&imgrefurl=http://chestofbooks.com/gardening-horticulture/Manual-Of-Horticulture/Exercise-XI-A-Study-Of-Corms.html&usg=__WI90x7eiMgPRW09-0EnLKzbiYRU=&h=544&w=500&sz=20&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=V6K4Aj4ZBBLUqM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgladiolus%2Bcorms%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dp,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA_en-GB%26biw%3D1247%26bih%3D528%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=344&ei=wT-LTMvDGc7MswbIlcTcAQ&oei=wT-LTMvDGc7MswbIlcTcAQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=70&ty=52

My suggestion of a pot was based on the fact that Agapanthus flower well when kept in a pot. Agapanthus can come in all sizes from dwarf to giants.

You may just have to wait for flowers to see what it produces.
artalis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: walk over Reply with quote

Wait and see, I think is the thing but I have a hunch.......

It was looking very healthy this month , with perfect foliage having recovered well in its' temporary nursery. All the same, I took it out of the pot recently, as it is time to get it in the ground again. That is why the foliage is dying back now. It is temp. heeled in, awaiting the arrival of more bulbs from Holland ( this week I hope) before I replant en masse.

I have about 11 agapanthus in the garden already. The first two were started in pots and did really well. I removed one from its' pot and put it in the ground recently and I am pleased that it still flowered well last month. I love agapanthus. I have white, giant white, headbourne hybrid, purple, blue and black stemmed varieties. It wouldn't be all that suprising if the plant in question was also one.

It does look like a lily bulb ( l love all lilies ) but the hunch is that it is a different lily.......

Someone else from this forum ( Michael Brenock ) suggested Nerine. Did a google search, and the ? does fit the characteristics. eg. large thickly clustered bulbs, with strappy foliage. Also Nerine can take two years or more to get going, even if all is well. I noticed that this ?plant did not flower, even prior to being trampled. This is a characteristic of Nerine also. Nerine do not like to be divided and dislike being moved also. If my mystery plant is Nerine, even though it has recovered well, it will take perhaps two seasons to get going again because it has been moved.

Another interesting characteristic of Nerine (naked ladies) is that the foliage appears after flowering, hence the name. Also if the soil is too rich, the foliage gets lush at the expense of the ability to flower. Now that I know all of that, it should be easier to get this plant established since it is very healthy, given a little extra time.

I don't recall planting Nerine, all that said, but it is a plant I have wanted in the garden for some time. So it imay be a case of gardening amnesia when I had a load of bulbs going in at the same time and some unfortunate boot bashing later.

I did the onion test on a leaf, and there was no odour.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate that you took the time. I'm betting on Nerine because it looks like one and has behaved like one. Also I have wanted to plant Nerine for some time and have a vague memory of handling a pink nerine pictured bulb packet, lol.

Wait and see....lol

eh, but allium and acidanthera/ gladiola bicolour are ruled out, thanks.

Have a great weekend.

artalis Rolling Eyes

Just found out that the nerine is not a lily it seems even though it looks like one, but is a member of the Family Amaryllidaceae, and is associated with the treatment for alzheimers ironically.

artalis

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Recognise the little bloomer now? Reply with quote

Well that mystery lily started to bloom about three weeks ago and it's not a nerine or an agapanthus. Looked through the RHS A-Z and a few other gardening books but haven't seen a picture of it yet. Any of you keen gardener's know what it is?

It has evergreen strappy leaves about 6 to 8 inches long and short flower spikes. The flower spikes open from the base of about 3.5 inches, having small starlike shaped individual florets all over the spike. These are a deep purple colour. Each little starry flower on the spike has a prominent yellow anther protruding.

Some free sunflower seeds to whoever knows what this lily? is?

artalis Laughing

Silver surfer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm!
A pic would really help.
???

Scilla periviana are flowering now.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scilla+peruviana&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1247&bih=528
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the day lily. Don't know what its Sunday name is though. I have got some lovely orange ones. My sister has an elephant lily which is pink
artalis

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver surfer wrote:
Hmm!
A pic would really help.
???

Scilla periviana are flowering now.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scilla+peruviana&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1247&bih=528

Silver Surfer well done, you have solved the mystery. It is Scilla Peruviana indeed.
Thanks.
I did think that it might be the Cuban Lily perhaps except that this has a spherical shaped bloom like a loose headed allium and not the stubby spike that first appeared on my mystery plant. But now that you have identified it correctly the Peruvian Scilla might even come to resemble the spherical shaped cuban lily when fully flowered.

Well if you would like some sunflower seeds as I promised, do forward some contact details and I will pop them in the post to you. You can send me a private message to artalis@hotmail.com if you like

artalis

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
What about the day lily. Don't know what its Sunday name is though. I have got some lovely orange ones. My sister has an elephant lily which is pink

Hi Margo,
The elephant Lily sounds interesting.
My mystery plant turned out to be Portugese Squill, but it has afew other names it seems-Peruvian Lily, Cuban Lily etc
Thanks for your reply-
Very Happy

Silver surfer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad that your mystery has been resolved.
I am very envious of your big clump...and to think you were tramping all over them.

www is amazing, I had never heard of Elephant lily. Only pic on flickr looks like Crinum powelli.

Nor have i seen blue Hemerocallis! (Day lily)

Thanks for your very kind offer of the sunflower seeds ... but no thanks.

By the way Scilla peruviana does not come from Peru. It is named after a ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Squill
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Elephant Lily's Sunday name is Crinum Powelli'
My orange day Lily is a Hemerocallis
There are 2 lavender/blue Hemercallis Prairie blue eyes and Purple Rain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: