Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

trailing plant recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
maggie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: trailing plant recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I'm very new to gardening and this site and need some advice. My husband has made some large growing boxes in lieu of fencing around our back yard, but we are unsure as to which plants would be best in them! Embarassed
We would like to have some trailing plants which would spill over the sides, but have a toddler and need to be mindful of poisonous berries etc. Aside from having nothing poisonous, we need relatively low maintenance, but yet pretty plants if possible
The boxes are 3ft high and are 1ft wide and run along the boundary of the yard (approx 40ft or so at a guess)
Hopefully someone can help us out so this plan doesn't end up being a complete disaster!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Thanks Smile
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Trailing Plants Reply with quote

Hi Maggie.I'm not evading your Question I could sit at this Computer 'til Doomsday giving you a list of Plants suitable for your requirements but until you actually see the Plant you would not know what I was talking about.I would suggest that you go along to your local G/C and speak to the People who will show you Pictures and explain the Pro's and Con's of each Plant.If you still prefer a list just get back onto me,I was in your position many years ago and I found my G/C very helpful.
Dave.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one suggestion.. and favourite of mine

Arenaria montana

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your Arenaria Montana alongside the Arenaria Purpurascens now your suckin' Diesel.There are several others like the Balearica and the Tetraquetra they are also White in colour except the Purpurascens which is pale to a deep Purplish-Pink
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Beware of Arenaria Montana Reply with quote

Beware: this hardy, little ground cover may be so happy in moist gardens that it becomes impossible to get rid of! Twisted Evil
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your correct in what you say,but they would suit Maggies needs for her "Box Garden".
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Arenaria Montana Reply with quote

Fair comment Geranimojess and a mower will keep it in check if it decides to go walkies. But it's always well to know cause when they take off you can hear them going. lol
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sarcasm intended in my reply,I was going on Maggies description of her back-yard (IE Concrete area) to the best of my knowledge only the USA refer to their back Gardens as back-yards.Perhaps Maggie could clarify this.
Dave.
maggie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I'm only getting back to this now, hope you didn't think i was just taking the advice and being rude Wink
Thanks for the recommendations and I was in with my local G/C and did find the staff really nice, but made general suggestions and kinda left me to make up my own mind - i need a more directive approach. looked up pics of the Arenarias and they look lovely - really like the purpurascens! Being evergreen they'd be ideal for the boxes cos we don't want it looking really sparse and miserable in winter.
Just to clarify about the space - the yard has paving slabs inside of the boxes and driveway outside at one side and neighbours at the other. There is some grass outside of the boxes, but its really rough and weedy so lawn in name only. We're not too worried if the plants take a bit of a walkabout - the lawnmower should be able to handle it and it could only improve the "lawn" as it stands Laughing Ha, a project for another year, that!!!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggie,dont get to excited about those plants,like most plants they have to take a break in the Winter IE,Hibernate,thats when you let other plants take over or cover for them while they recharge their Batteries for the next Season,unless you do that you are going to be left with empty Box'es over the Winter,leave it with me for a few Days and I'll put together a list for you,if anyone else out there wants to join in feel free to do so.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: trailing plant recommendations Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm very new to gardening

In that case let me suggest a few creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia).
Lime green to yellow green leaves even over winter, and yellow flowers.
You will be doing well if you kill it.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James,nothing can beat an input from the Master.
maggie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!! A recommendation that is foolproof and kill-proof is exactly what we need!! Laughing
Thanks again for the help with this. Smile
maggie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the PM Geranimojess. Don't worry about the delay getting back to me with that list, with the weather out there I'm in no hurry to get out planting stuff - very much a fair weather gardener I'm afraid, Laughing
Take your time, esp when you've got work on Smile
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggie,before I start a list I want to enquire about these Box'es you have,about 2yrs ago I managed to get my hands on several Box'es similiar in size to your ones they were "Packing Crates" for Vehicle Parts,I coated them in Wood preserve and fitted plastic inside for added protection in less than 18mths I had to scrap them due to rot,I was fortunate to be able to replant all the plants into the Ground,I was just wondering if you would be in the same position if a similiar Fate befalls you.
Just something to bear in mind,I'll begin that list tomorrow for you I'm just back from Galway after a long Days driving and I'm knackered.
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: