Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland

i want a rose bed!!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
aine
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: i want a rose bed!! Reply with quote

hoping some of you well experienced gardeners can advise me.

i love roses. i passed a house a few weeks ago that had a rose bed near the front door and it looked amazing.

i'm wondering if it would be hard to manage and how/could i guarantee almost year round colour? because if all the roses bloom at the one time, it will be colourless for rest of year
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: small roses for fall Reply with quote

My hybrid teas are doing splendidly this summer as it was hot and not too humid. But if you want fall color, then try some shrub roses which will bloom into the fall providing you deadhead them and feed them well. It's time to get rid of the fertilizer anyway as it won't be up to much next summer anyway. There's still time to actively promote blooming for the last flush of the season. For a detailed catalogue, try this one http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/ as they have them listed by type, color, growing habit and even by shade tolerant variety. For a good deal, consider bare root purchasing and/or google a video on how to propagate through cuttings. If you admire a neighbours, perhaps they might share a cutting with you.
frengers80

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: new rose bed Reply with quote

hi,good luck with your new rose bed.just a little note that they will require a little bit of attention,spraying every 2 weeks over the growing season for greenfly/blackspot etc,but really worth it.dead head old blooms to keep new ones coming and if i could recommend one variety it wood be tequilla sunrise,beautiful rose very sturdy and flowers all season long,ive cut a bunch for christmas the past few years,cant beat that!!
aine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the detailed replies.
i think i will leave this project til next yer though...the weather is horrible here and ground is very wet plus i'm nine months pregnant so i'll have to take it easy

thanks though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: