Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Using Chipped Bark in the garden - B&Q Deal

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Using Chipped Bark in the garden - B&Q Deal Reply with quote

Hello all,

There's a good deal at the moment in b&q on chipped bark - 4 large bags for the price of 3. The thing is that I've heard a lot of conflicting views on chipped bark and I'd like to get an idea of what ye think....
Does it attract or shelter vermin/snails/etc over winter? We have trees in the garden, will the leaves that fall create too much groundcover on top of the bark? Do I need to remove it in Spring - or indeed is spring a better time to use it given the fact that it adds moisture to the soil, something we're sure to get loads of this winter?

I think it looks great when used in a border but I'm just not sure if I really need it - any help or advice appreciated.

Sunflower Very Happy
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunflower.1st forget about the 4 for 3 offer,if you have access to a Car Trailer drop down to your local Council recycling Depot and fill up the Trailer with the best of Bark for 12-15Euro(we have one in Sligo). 2nd you dont have to remove the Bark nature gradually decays the Bark back into the Ground then you just Top it up again.3rd Yes you will get the odd Slug and others who will hide under the Bark but no more or less than hiding under fallen leaves
In general Bark does tidy up a Bed and occasional light raking keeps it looking fresh,the next question is "Do you or Dont you" the decision is yours.
Hope that answers your questions.
Dave.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael might want to substantiate this, but rotting bark mulch lowers the nitrogen levels.... otherwise there are many benefits to using bark mulch.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the question was addressed to me then I can say that tree bark uses up quite a lot of Nitrogen in the rotting down process. This can be an advantage where there is surplus Nitrogen in the soil and plants are growing too vigorously. Tree bark does carry the risk of having pests in it that may harm the stems of trees and shrubs. But on balance tree bark is worth using and is attractive as a weed suppressant.
michael brenock horticultural advisor(retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: