Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

north facing bed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Gerrymadden
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: north facing bed Reply with quote

Hi

The entrance walls to my house are being built at the moment. The walls themselves are curved inwards. I am considering having flower beds in front of the walls. However they are north facing. I was thinking of planting buxus or maybe ferns of some type. Do you think this would work or are there any other type of plants that would work well here.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i am no expert so could stand corrected on this but this yr i found out something new, which is the likes of petunia grow just as well in the shade as they do in sun. I read this somewhere and thought i would give it a go on my north wall, totally blanked of sun and they grew just as well as the others i have in sun area. also the likes of fox gloves hosta etc also do well in the shade, so your not totally limited if you want some flowers and color.....Smile
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

euonymus and fatsia are good in the shade for all year round colour.the ferns and box will work well there.vinca and pachysandra are good for ground cover if you need to fill a space.
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: shade loving Reply with quote

Hi Gerrymadden,

For problem shade try; Carex pendula, Dryopteris filix-mas, Helleborus foetedus, vincas for groundcover, Tellima grandiflora, Euphorbia amygdaloides, Geranium macrorrhizum, Campanula latifolia, Digitalis purpurea (foxglove), Cyclamen hederefolium, winter aconite ( Eranthis hyemalis. Ferns generally ( except for the male fern) do not like dry shade but P.acrostichoides is fine. Japanese Anemone nemerosa...Butterbur ( Petastites albus ) and ivies will cope with dry shade.

Soil next to dry walls can be often nutrient deficient and too dry for plants to thrive. Building a raised bed and enriching the soil there with organic compost well help you to grow a wider range of shade loving plants that will include trilliums.

For light shade, spring bulbs and crocuses are ideal.

Quoting from one of my favourite books, " The New Perennial Garden" by Noel Kingsbury.

Hope that helps,
artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
Gerrymadden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks a million for your replies. I will research all the above mentioned plants and decided.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: