Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

my baby brian..

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: my baby brian.. Reply with quote

my little baby escollonia golden brian.

picked this fellow up from woodies for a couple of € as it was nearly dead. didnt have a clue where i was going to put him but he looked so sad and abused with dead or dying leaves and full of rust on his leaves. got him home and started to give some serious TLC and sprayed his leaves and he has come on leaps and bounds. finally put him at the corner of the path and has settled in quite well with new leaves and even flowered for me so well made up with him. as he starts to fill out more i will trim him ti shape as there is a patch under side which is just starting to grow in.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice story ! I once had this plant and it struggled badly, as It was obviously in the wrong spot....I suspect it needs a lot of sun. I wonder will yours be prone to this new virus that is affecting escallonias around the country...I hope not !
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a strong healthy plant.

Several years ago when I first came across this in garden centres I mis read the name as Escallonia Golden BRAIN.
Now, when ever I see it I have a chuckle. It will be Golden Brain now for ever with me!
mralgae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
What a nice story ! I once had this plant and it struggled badly, as It was obviously in the wrong spot....I suspect it needs a lot of sun. I wonder will yours be prone to this new virus that is affecting escallonias around the country...I hope not !

had quite a lot of plants from them that they are virtually giving away because they have been dying off, only lost one so far. to be honest i had it in its pot for some time b4 i planted it in the corner with no sun at all. only since planting it has it been getting any sun, but was getting to the stage that if hadnt planted it would have died through strangling its self.
i hope it does'nt get the virus. will have to google and see whats going on. thanks.

silver surfer wrote:

What a strong healthy plant.

Several years ago when I first came across this in garden centres I mis read the name as Escallonia Golden BRAIN.
Now, when ever I see it I have a chuckle. It will be Golden Brain now for ever with me!

haha great story SS, i know what you mean. probably think the same way now.....LOL

michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escallonias have been affected by a fungal disease not a viral disease.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
mralgae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been searching this evening about this and unless im missing something, from what i can find it looks like the problem seems to be more like rust or black spot, is this correct. my brian as said was full of rust and black spot when i got it and use a fungus clear spray from woodies on it. it seems to have worked a treat on it so far, but i do spray every two weeks so it could be keeping it at bay.
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Michael, I used the wrong word....not a virus.
Yes, mralgae, the fungus manifests itself as small black spots and yellowing leaves ( on normal green-leaved escallonias ) which then drop off. We're very disappointed to see our escallonia hedge suffering from it again this summer, considering what a dry season it has been.
Rocket
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mralgae

I am enjoying discovering different things on this forum and was just looking at pictures of your lovely garden.

By any chance does 'Brian' have a nice sort of lemony smell?
mralgae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rocket, thanks for your comments. i too am also learning a lot as been a long time living in apts over the yrs.

well i just hope my Neighbours were not looking out their windows just now as they wood have seen me out in the garden sniffing 'BRIAN' not a pretty sight....LOL

my brian unfortunately does not smell of of lemon, it just has the normal leafy smell to it.
i am sure though there are some that would give off a smell. why not put a question up on the forum and one of our great gardeners would be able to advise better...Smile

Rocket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thank you for replying. Hope the neighbours not report you!

I was wondering about the smell as I have two mature plants that give a lemony smell and look similar - though I ought to say that I have a few vision problems

I might pose a question when I feel more courageous The plants I have are probably instantly recognisable by gardeners and I don't want to make too much of a twit of myself. One example of this is - I went to Woodies today and saw some plants next the herb section. I was sure the label said herb and Ver-something. I thought it said Verbena and bought it. Wwhen I got home I discovered I had bought a 'Hebe' (not 'herb') called Veronica. I have a mature one of these in my garden so this can join it. I also took pity on an ailing goosebeery and aim to nurse it back to health.

I have an appointment with an eye specalist tomoorow - probably just as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: