Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn Mushrooms - How to Deal with Them

Most Recent Posts conifer roots
Last post: sal
colourful hedging
Last post: kindredspirit
Planning the garden jobs month by month - JUNE
Last post: Sue Deacon
Leaves dropping off of holiies
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Lawn Mushrooms - How to Deal with Them Reply with quote

Lawn Mushrooms - How to Deal with Them
By Terry Blackburn

Lawn Mushrooms.
What Causes Them and Can You Get Rid of Them?

In order to understand what is involved in the permanent removal of lawn mushrooms, it is important to know where they come from, and what causes them. Lawn mushrooms are simply the product of fungi infested in you soil in one or more areas of your lawn. They are actually the fruit of this fungus, and feed off different sources that could be present.

Lawn mushrooms feed off decaying matter such as:

Arrow Old mulch

Arrow Animal waste

Arrow Rotting tree stumps

Abundance of food sources for the fungi in your gardens soil will pretty much ensure the presence of lawn mushrooms in your lawn. The more food sources for the fungi, the bigger the lawn mushrooms will grow. That is the reason sometimes the lawn mushrooms will be very large, and sometimes they will be very small. The size of mushrooms in lawns depends on the amount of food sources the fungi has available.

Permanently ridding your garden of lawn mushrooms means totally eliminating the food sources for the fungi. While this can be difficult, and sometimes impossible, the following paragraphs will provide some insight on what is involved in permanently ridding your yard of lawn mushrooms.

Photo / pic / image of Lawn Mushrooms.

Most people spend a lot of time trying to rid their garden of lawn mushrooms.
Removing them as you see them is one method of removal, but it will be a never-ending task during several months of the year. Continual removal will keep the appearance of your garden up to par, but the source of the lawn mushrooms will still be present. Thus, the lawn mushrooms are likely to return in the future.

Chemical removal is another method home owners use to rid their gardens of lawn mushrooms. As with continual removal, the chemicals will normally kill the mushrooms that are present. But with the food sources for the fungi still present in your garden soil, the lawn mushrooms are likely to return.

Some homeowners will research to find a more permanent end to their lawn mushroom problem and find that there is only one way to permanently rid your yard of lawn mushrooms, and that is to exhaust all of the food sources in your garden and soil.

Performing the following tasks could aid in permanently ridding your garden of lawn mushrooms:

Arrow Clean up pet waste

Arrow Dispose of rotting mulch

Arrow Have old tree stumps,roots and other pieces of wood removed

Having old tree stumps ground may aid in the permanent ridding of lawn mushrooms, but it could also cause a type of mushroom called fairy rings to appear. Most lawn mushrooms do not harm your lawn, but fairy rings are known to commonly kill grass in certain areas of your lawn.

The only effective way of permanent removal of lawn mushrooms of any kind is to rid the fungi of its food source. Sometimes, even after an old tree stump has been removed, the fairy rings and lawn mushrooms come back. In this case, the soil containing the fungi had to be removed, as well. When the food sources for the fungi have all been exhausted, and any soil infested with the mold spores has been removed, you should cease to see the presence of lawn mushrooms in your garden.

Terry Blackburn. Internet Marketing Consultant, living in South Shields in the North-East of England. Author and Producer of blog http://www.lawnsurgeon.blogspot.com Author of "Your Perfect Lawn," a 90 Page eBook devoted to Lawn Preparation, Lawn Care and Maintenance. Find it at http://www.lawnsurgeon.com

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdvaden
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always referred to mushrooms in the flower beds or lawns as a BADGE OF HONOR.

More often than not, it's a good sign as long as it's not wood decay fungi in living trees.

I started photographing various mushrooms in our local forests and region, about 2 years ago.

Some of the ones in lawns near trees, are mycorrhizal fungi coming from the root zone, and are beneficial to the trees.

Coast Redwoods

Medford Landscape Design & Trees

Medford & Rogue Valley Photographer
Sugar_Ape
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdvaden wrote:
I started photographing various mushrooms in our local forests and region, about 2 years ago.

If you have any interesting finds M.D I'd love to see them.
mdvaden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar_Ape wrote:
mdvaden wrote:

If you have any interesting finds M.D I'd love to see them.

I keep my finds here:

http://www.mdvaden.com/album_OregonFungi.shtml

If I don't hike too fast, I can find more.

Coast Redwoods

Medford Landscape Design & Trees

Medford & Rogue Valley Photographer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: