Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Blackberry Curd

Most Recent Posts Hydrangea colours
Last post: tagwex
Last post: tagwex
Gardens wrecked by Vandals.
Last post: Ado 2
Last post: Good guy
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Curd Reply with quote

Like the Blackberry Chutney I posted here before this is another way to use blackberries.
The final result is a stunning lemon and blackberry creamy flavour

It tastes really nice, perhaps a little too sweet, so in future I'll just reduce the sugar content a bit, and maybe use a little carrageen, I just need a litle more tartness.

I think it would make a really nice filling for a tart.
The only pain is the straining, but it is really worth the trouble.

Its just a nice thing to have a bit of variation on the staple blackberry jam, which still cant be beaten - but this comes close.

1.0kg blackberries
350g peeled and cored apples
150 ml water
110 g butter
Yolks of 2 fresh eggs
900g sugar
100 ml fresh lemon juice
I added 20g Ginger and two tsp lemon rind to give a little more zing to the original recipe

1.Put blackberries, apples and sugar in a large saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the fruit is is soft and near setpoint.

2.Remove from the heat and push the fruit through a strainer into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pressing down on the fruit with a wooden spoon.

3.Put another heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water or bain maire and melt the butter.
Beat the eggs lightly and stir into the bowl with the lemon juice and pressed blackberry and apple.

4.Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes or until it thickens.

5. Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the curd into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars.
IMPORTANT TIP: Filling curd jars is a little different from jam, you leave as little headspace as possible because Curds shrink.

6. Seal and cover.

7. I Water bathed the jars for 10 minutes

8. Dont forget to cool them sitting on a cloth, this gives more even cooling.

Keep the jars in a cool, dry place. Curds will last about 3 months if kept in a refrigerator, 6 weeks in a cool, dark place but only about a week once they are opened
I hope the waterbath may push out the shelf life to about 5 months

My Garden blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: