Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Vannilla grass seed - help?

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Vannilla grass seed - help? Reply with quote

I got some vanilla grass (holy, sweet or buffalo grass) seeds from Australia, and after some agonising over when to plant them have decided that, since they already just had winter over there, I'd be best sowing them now while still moderately fresh, and keeping any seedlings in a bright warm place over winter. I have rubbed and soaked them and they have just come out of the fridge after a months stratification - I can't think of anything else I can do to improve germination except to get the germination temperature right and the lighting conditions. With such a wide dispersal of these plants it is a bit difficult to work out what would be ideal - spring conditions I know, but spring where exactly, and which spring in the last 20 years should I try to emulate :?
[b]Does anyone know what temperature and light levels they actually need?[/b]
I've read that you can only expect 5% -15% germination, even with fresh seeds, so I am not expecting much out of 50, but it would be nice even to get one plant to start a patch somewhere. Any help would be so much appreciated. I really fancy being a custodian to a patch of holy grass :roll: and I think I have found an ideal place for them to grow once established
:D :D :D .
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16 plants germinated :D :D :D :o They range from half an inch tall to one and a half inches with several leaves. I am jumping about with delight because I wasn't expecting anything like as many and the weather on the window ledge must have been perfect for them. Now I can be a real vanilla-grass custodian, which makes me very happy dispite my sounding like a pudding. :lol: :lol:
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now 26 of these growing from the 50 I planted (in case anyone is thinking to try growing them but worried about low germination). They have been very well behaved so far. One problem - cats think they are cat-grass! Shocked Luck had it I saw the cat just in time to save the plant that it had carefully uprooted in preparation for swallowing. I've banned cats from the room where they are growing. Some of them are nearly ready to go outside now, but I think I'll put them in the coldframe rather than out in the wild just for now.
I'm still looking for advise from people who've grown this grass. I'm utterly gibbering about their future health, and the cat incident left me so nervous I couldn't sleep. Embarassed I tried counting sheep but then I thought about how likely the sheep would be to eat them, and that made it all seem so precarious... and what about deer and rabbits??? Not to mention slugs Mr. Green - oh dear, now I've said it!! I am going to need sedatives by the time these things get planted out Rolling Eyes
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.what do you use it for?sorry for my ignorance!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: