Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Very high creeper to replace evergreen hedge

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
The Convert
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Very high creeper to replace evergreen hedge Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm just starting to get interested in gardening and I have a problem. I have a 30m evergreen hedge that is 4m high and 2.5m wide. I would like to put up a metal fence with mesh and grow a creeper/crawler BEFORE I take the hedge down. There would be very little light available to the creeper. I'd be grateful for any guidance you may have.

Thank you.
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: virginia creeper Reply with quote

Hi The Convert,

Virginia creeper can grow in full shade and is very vigorous, growing up to 50 ft. It will need a wall, trees or trellis to cling to. It is self clinging with sticky tendrils.

Something else to consider;

If you are considering less vigorous or more demanding scramblers/twiners/shrubs etc perhaps just check what should be the right planting distance from your existing hedge, especially if you will be digging up old roots next to a new screen of creepers/plants.

Also check soil requirements for the new plantings in this case. The old mature hedge roots will be very established having used up the goodness of the soil around it and so you might need to improve/renew the soil with some fertiliser.

Hope an expert can advise you fully.

artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
The Convert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast response. Does the Virginia Creeper need a wall or will it grow on a steel mesh fence? Also, will give us privacy all year round?

Thank you.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to explain how much space you have behind the hedge and what is going on in the neighbouring property....there is a big difference between "deep shade" and no light at all...........I'm just wondering are you expecting too much from what you plan to do ? After all, even if you do plant Virginia Creeper, it will not cover a fence straight away...all these things take time......
Might you be better off putting in a solid timber fence and slowly letting climbers clothe it as time goes by ?
The Convert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.
To explain fully, I have a "wall of evergreen" ( 30m long x 3.5m high) which I love, because it obscures a very ugly house. What I'm attempting to do is replace this very hard to manage hedge with a similar height climber supported by 2x2" steel uprights with steel mesh attached on both sides. There are planning issues in relation to timber/solid fencing over 2m high.

It is my intention to take down the hedge AFTER! the creeper has grown to a similar height. I assume this "transisition" would take several years. The base of the creepers would be very, very shaded.

Thank you.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high creeper to replace evergreen hedge Reply with quote

An evergreen honeysuckle sounds like it may suit as it climbs by twining rather than suckers.
They cope ok in partial shade, however less light means slower growth.
If as you say "The base of the creepers would be very, very shaded" then it would also be very, very leafless.
Also consider your neighbour, as the side of the climber facing the hedge will surely be leafless and poor looking due to lack of light.
When you remove the hedge then your neighbour will have to look at this for a year or so until it fills out.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
artalis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: evergreen climber Reply with quote

Hi The Convert,

Virginia creeper should grow through metal mesh and posts without a problem. While it is still very young it might need to be tied in just to encourage it to start clinging. It will lose its' leaves in winter, before regrowing in spring, so if you need year round colour an evergreen is what you need.

English ivy is an evergreen self clinging creeper that grows in full shade and is very vigorous. Consider using an evergreen like the English ivy and mixing the planting with other deciduouse creepers for some visual variety over the course of the whole year. Two cultivars of the English ivy that are particularly hardy are "Thorndale" and "Bulgaria

Virginia creeper turns a lovely scarlet in the autumn before it drops its' leaves. Animals and birds also love the greenish blue berries of virginia creeper. See other suitable shade tolerant climbers below, which could be used in a mixed planting.

Dutchman's pipe is a vigorous twining climber with large heart shaped leaves and purple flowers. It is deciduouse ( loses it's leave in winter but renews in spring ).

Chocolate vine is a self clinging climber and has purple leaves that turn green later, then follows with purple sausage shaped fruits. It is fast growing, shade tolerant and deciduous.

Hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris)>
A self-clinging vigorous climber which can reach up to 70ft (21m) in favourable conditions. In June it has white flattish flower heads. This plant will thrive on a north (shady). Not suitable for dry sites.

Ivy Goldheart is self clinging (Hedera helix Goldheart, Hedera helix Oro di Bogliasco)> Dense vigorous evergreen up to 20 metres. Attractive rich green foliage with large central splash of buttercup yellow. Suits heavy shade, but colour will be better in sun or semi-shade.

Irish ivy (Hedera hibernica).
Dense vigorous self clinging evergreen which rapidly carpets the ground with large dark glossy green leaves. Has light green flowers, which are very attractive to bees and other insects followed by black fruits in autumn, which provide a good source of bird food. Likes heavy shade.

Golden Hop ( Humulus Lupulus Aureus ) is a very vigorous climber with soft golden leaves and drooping yellowish-green flowers in late summer.It is deciduous.

Honeysuckle (Lonicera Tellmanniana) - very fragrant coppery yellow flowers in June-July best in part or full shade. Twining climber.

Vigorous climbers will need to be pruned ruthlessly to keep them in check. Self clinging types are suitable to plant together, and a wire mesh fence with very strong supports should do the job. Don't plant them too closely together or they may destroy the fence by pushing apart the connections as they grow larger.

Twining climbers will wrap themselves around the support and may have different pruning needs from self clingers. Get advice before commiting to buy.

artalis Very Happy

The Convert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Your fantastic!. If you could identify two twining fast growing evergreen climbers with similar growth rates and pruning requirements I'd be very grateful. I can check with the garden centre the number of plants needed.

Thank you.
artalis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Twiners Reply with quote

Honeysuckle/Lonicera henryi is an an evergreen climber that is ok in shade and it has decorative leaves and a twining habit, and Lonicera periclymenum 'Graham Thomas' is a vigorous and fragrant honeysuckle with lovely yellow and white blooms. The latter is not evergreen but if you mix the two types, you will have a more interesting screen. Honeysuckle copper beauty (Lonicera henryi Copper Beauty is an evergreen twiner and has lovely yellow coppery flowers in summer. It will do ok in part shade and is a strong grower.

That nearly ticks all your boxes, except that, these twiners will cope with shade but may not do as well if in full shade. But after you remove the existing hedge there should be more available light.

artalis Very Happy

The Convert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank you for your help and informaton. I'm sure I'll be popping up with questions on various topics on this site.

Thank you.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi the convert
another climber that may suit is the evergreen cissus striata and hydrangea petiolaris while classed as semievergreen will tolerate shade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: