Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

getting ready for next year!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
slugsaway
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: getting ready for next year! Reply with quote

Well my first year at growing food has been an interesting one... had some great successes (carrots, onions, beetroot, lettuce, radish, broccolli, potatoes, runner beans and peas) still waiting to harvest more carrots and spuds, parsnips, beans, sweetcorn and butternut squash... I've also had a few disastors (cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage which grew but was more a coleslaw type than greens that we like) Now I'm starting to think ahead for next year, I'm hoping to sow some spring onions and maybe some broccolli and spring cabbage in a small area of the garden. The variety of broccolli I had this year said to sow in sep-oct outdoors for march transplant and harvesting in May. Do I start the seeds off first in a seed tray and plant out the seedlings when they are about 6 weeks like I did the last time? What about the onion seeds and spring cabbage, what are the best varieties and do I sow the seeds in the ground and leave til next spring or do I start in trays and transplant?

For the rest of the garden I was hoping to give it a good dig and get some farmyard manure and dig it in, and this is where my big question comes from... This year I had a TERRIBLE weed problem, especially grass... is there anything I can do to prevent this for next year. We have a green recycling facility near us an I was thinking of getting mulch from there to cover the ground over the winter. Would this help? Next year I will defo be using paper covered in grass cuttings between the drills to keep the weeds down. (I'm not using raised beds, everything is in the ground)

Learnt loads this year and am really looking forward to having a better season next year....
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know if this will help or not but i have been having a major ant invasion he last while and have been using boiling water to get rid of most of them.

in using the boiling water i noticed that the area where we threw the boiling water that it killed the grass with in 24-48hrs. and have just used boiled water to kill off some grass we dont want.

i dont know if this does any damage to the soil directly but it certainly kills the grass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: