Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello everyone

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bigbird
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone Reply with quote

Hello everyone from not so sunny Roscommon.

I have just spent the last three hours on the your site and am absolutely amazed at the content and all the good advice.

I started off surfing this site because we are just about to order 24ft x 14ft polytunnel and wanted to get a bit of information. I thought this would be a straightforward project but the more I read, the more I am aware that I don't have a clue what I am doing. I am still keen on going ahead though - once my husband works out how to level the site where it will go.

I also did a bit of research on books on polytunnel gardening but the one most recommended must be out of print as it has proved impossible to get unless I am prepared to spend over €100 on it which I am not. I have booked myself in to the Introduction to Polytunnel Gardening with the Organic Centre in Leitrim but can't wait to get started reading. Can anyone recommend a good book on polytunnel gardening which does not spend a lot of time explaining what one is, where to site it, how to erect it, etc. I just want how to use one information.

Thanks in advance for any replies and I look forward to learning as much as I can from you all!
mralgae
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately i cant help you on your questions about tunnels as i am a newbie myself...Smile

so just to say HI and WELCOME......Smile

Bigbird

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mralgae. Nice to be in the club.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Bigbird, welcome to the forum....as for not having a clue, most of us are more or less in the same boat, and learning all the time, regardless of how long we garden.
As for books, two of the best are Grow your own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom, and The Irish Gardener's Handbook by our own Michael Brenock who gives so much good advice on the site. Neither specifically for polytunnels but your best reference books to start with.
Bigbird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive, I'll give those a look.
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bigbird!! Well you've made the right step by taking a course at the Organic centre. You will gets loads of info from everyone there so ask lots of questions and keep popping back to see how they are getting on with things. I am inexperienced as well and any time I have needed help there has always been someone on this site with great advice. I've just ordered Michael Brenock's book which is highly recommended. Happy gardening!!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

select the sunniest site possible in the garden but well sheltered. The site does not have to be levelled. if soil has to be moved always ensure that there is an even depth of soil throughout the tunnel. Do not confuse shelter with shading. A south facing site is ideal but not always available. Ensure there is good drainage.
Do not put permanent concrete paths in the tunnel but stepping stones or wooden movable paths to adapt for different crops in different seasons. make use of every square foot of covered land.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Hi Bigbird,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy going through the pages. It is a really friendly site and a fun place to learn new gardening bits and pieces. I am a newbie here too, but we are all learning, so get stuck into your project, ask loads of questions and some of the friendly members here will help you out I am sure.

artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: