Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Cheap bin tidy

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Margo
Introduction
Last post: tagwex
Small Urban Garden Re-design - Suggestions appreciated
Last post: Sue Deacon
HOW TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LAWN
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Cheap bin tidy Reply with quote

I have been after a nice looking wooden bin tidy for months now, but there aren't too many companies importing into Ireland or else manufacturing them.

Even when I do find one it's at least three hundred euros for a double wheelie tidy. The alternative is plastic, that looks as ugly as the wheelie bins themselves.

Finally, we decided to go for a cheaper alternative and make one ourselves.
I am not at all handy with power tools etc but I managed to construct a metal framework, covered it in a plastic mesh for extra strength and then overlaid it with willow. Total cost was 50 euros. Just hope it lasts at least one year....or until I can figure out how to handle power drills etc and construct a bin tidy one entirely from wood.

Like our hand made gate, with traditional iron fittings? We needed a wider gate for motorbike access, so we moved the hanging post to the rear of the house and had a gate built from scratch.

Cost saving......the front door project. Couldn't get ironware, at the right scale for the much smaller front door ( except for designer pieces at 60 to 100 euros per piece-eh no thanks!) I drew the iron hinge shape onto hardwood and cut it out with a small hacksaw, painted it black and fixed it to the door. Fixed ironware nail heads and hand painted existing metallic door furniture with decorative design embellishments to match.....

Now I suprised myself with the hand carved/cut wooden hinges...didn't know I could do that until I did, he he......

Next project is to make some trellis work for either side of the front door. There will be an oak half barrel on one side which will contain a winter jasmine ( hopefully). Should I make the trellis from willow, wood or ironware ( prob faux ironwork in steel or aluminium.) ? What materials would work best with existing features?

artalis Very Happy

Bin Tidy 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.21 KB
 Viewed:  4868 Time(s)

Bin Tidy 1a.jpg

sidegate 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.6 KB

sidegate 1a.jpg

Door 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.49 KB

Door 1a.jpg

John 3:16
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done artalis....LOVE the purple...and your lovely garden.
artalis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: bin tidy Reply with quote

Thanks Sive,

Me too, every time that I look at the violet colour my eyes brighten and sparkle.

Bees seem to love visiting the garden too and I wonder is the violet coloured painted garden railing etc something to do with it coz bees love purples and blues, as flowers in this colour range offer the best nectar/pollen.

Glad you like it too!

artalis Very Happy

John 3:16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: